Gen II HID question

Daviddc114

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My 30K mile marks RH HID failed on me.. Its wierd because the car is barely used, and the lamp never flickered or discolored it just wouldnt light up last night. It didnt die while on, just never lit up. Im wondering if it is the HID or ballast?? Also, i am in the process or ordering the HID Adapters, but if i change these over to aftermarket HIDs will the onboard computer think the headlamps are out still?? Thanks..

They fail in all sorts of ways. One of mine was dimmer than the turn signal, I replaced it with a spare from the junk yard, and eventually it just fizzled out and died without any fanfare. It was the bulb, I swapped the bulbs and the problem followed the bulb(s), the first one had a lot of the solid material used to ignite them melted to the capsule.

There are multiple ways to wire in the aftermarket bulbs and ballasts, and it sorta depends on if you want autolamp to work. I wired in my aftermarket ones directly to the original feed to the original ballast, but it wouldn't survive cranking (one or both would go out). I also got into situations where my SCIL module would get reset and many things wouldn't work until I pulled the negative battery cable and reset it. HOWEVER that might have been due to a very questionable old battery, it rarely held 12.4 volts, even after a long trip and checking immediately. I have since replaced it (with a 7 year old battery out of my wrecked 97 Cougar, but it still holds 12.7 volts and is a much better battery than the Vatozone one that was in it) but I have since gotten a relay harness with resistors to put in so that the car didn't think the headlights were failing. IT uses voltage directly from the battery for the ballasts, resistors on each sides original power, and it is simply a signal to the relay to turn on the lights.

Even with cheapo $60 ballasts my 'head-lamp out' messages still work fine if the bulb truly is dead.

Yes, when i had them wired in direct, and one wouldn't fire it would set the error but not anymore with the resistors unless rhat is the circuit that fails.

But how are you wiring the hids so to keep the message center working? Just use the power and ground that is at the oem ballast and thats it? Also what about autolamps failing?

Members online

No members online now.
Back