Gen II front door panel removal

joegr

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, now it's my turn to deal with a broken window regulator on my 2004 LS.
I have the service manual, but it's instructions on the door skin removal are not detailed enough for me (guess I'm getting too old).
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x15007.htm~gen~ref.htm

What I'm presently stuck on is "3. Remove the interior door handle cover, and the 2 screws. "

Can anyone give me some detail on how to remove that? When I pull on it with a hook tool, it seems like it will break rather than come off. Is the door handle cover just the part with the lock and the door handle, or does item 11 come off with it too?

Thanks in advance...

It has been a few years since I removed a door panel from the Gen II, IIRC the cover over the screws comes completely off, where as on the Gen I it is hinged and only open one way to reveal the screws. Part 11 you mentioned is held on with nuts and can't be removed until the door panel is removed. They are not like the Gen I that pop off to get to the hidden screw.

Yeah, I broke mine when I took off my driver side door a few months ago. Your suppose to pull from the top. It flaps opens and it is held from the bottom. It has a little clip in the middle of it, i just stuck a flat head in there right now and it opened. It does not come out completly, only flaps down

Yeah, I broke mine when I took off my driver side door a few months ago. Your suppose to pull from the top. It flaps opens and it is held from the bottom. It has a little clip in the middle of it, i just stuck a flat head in there right now and it opened. It does not come out completly, only flaps down

I believe that you are talking about the two screws behind the door armrest handle. That one I figured out. (Although my question was poorly phrased, so I can see the confusion there.) I'm stuck on the trim around the door latch handle (part with the door lock button). Does it need to be removed to remove the door skin, because the skin still seems to be firmly attached?

Next dumb question... Do I lift the skin up slightly and then pull away from the door, or just pull it off without lifting?

The trim does not need to come off. Just pull around the edges of the panel and it will pop off. It takes pressure but that stuff is strong. Once the panel is loose pull toward the front of the car to clear the door lever. Make sure you disconnect all the electrical connections. There is a clip that holds one of the wires around mid-door so pull the door off slowly and you will see it.

The trim does not need to come off. Just pull around the edges of the panel and it will pop off. It takes pressure but that stuff is strong. Once the panel is loose pull toward the front of the car to clear the door lever. Make sure you disconnect all the electrical connections. There is a clip that holds one of the wires around mid-door so pull the door off slowly and you will see it.

Thanks much...

Joe---
Several months ago, I got a full set of GenII doors to replace the pass side of my '02. (I posted at the time that I was hit by a high school girl who pulled into traffic in front of me.) I've installed the pass side, but have the others in the garage. If necessary, I can take pictures for you. Feel free.
KS

Joe, I just went out to my car. Now, this is a gen 1, but this is how it works on mine:

IMG_9526.JPG

IMG_9527.JPG

IMG_9528.JPG

Joe, I just went out to my car. Now, this is a gen 1, but this is how it works on mine:

Yeah, that was the step that I was hung up on. If I now understand correctly, that piece doesn't have to (and can't be) removed on the gen II to get the door skin off.

There is a screw behind there on mine. Again, not sure on the gen 2.

I believe that you are talking about the two screws behind the door armrest handle. That one I figured out. (Although my question was poorly phrased, so I can see the confusion there.)

Oh, sorry. Guess I read it too fast. That door panel is held in good. I thought I was going to break it until it finally snapped off.

Latch Handle Surround

Yeah, that was the step that I was hung up on. If I now understand correctly, that piece doesn't have to (and can't be) removed on the gen II to get the door skin off.
As noted, I have both GenI and GenII on the premises. You are correct. The entire latch handle surround on the GenII stays in place. It's not removable in the general run of things.
KS

As noted, I have both GenI and GenII on the premises. You are correct. The entire latch handle surround on the GenII stays in place. It's not removable in the general run of things.
KS

Okay, thanks. I think I understand now. I probably won't try it again until the regulator comes in. I was able to pull the glass up and tape it in place until then.

Okay, it's done. Here's some pictures for the curious.

IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

Okay, thanks. I think I understand now. I probably won't try it again until the regulator comes in. I was able to pull the glass up and tape it in place until then.

What exactly did you tape? I've got the glass up but can't find a good spot

I used clear tape on the outside. Taped the glass to the top of the door.

Ok thanks, I was trying to keep it propped up from inside the door somewhere. I guess some tape residue will come off.

So I just replaced the regulator, the window goes up and when it hits the top it goes back down halfway. What did I do wrong?

So I just replaced the regulator, the window goes up and when it hits the top it goes back down halfway. What did I do wrong?

Nothing really, but you need to re-index the motor. Move the window as far up as you can. Remove the motor from the regulator. Now press and release the up button, such as to trigger the auto up. When the motor stops, bolt it back on the regulator. It should work correctly now. You may still need to re-initialize it too. (lower the window all the way, then press and hold the up button. Keep holding the up button for a few seconds after the window is all the way up.)

^^ exactly the same problem I had, the re-index trick solved it.

Nothing really, but you need to re-index the motor. Move the window as far up as you can. Remove the motor from the regulator. Now press and release the up button, such as to trigger the auto up. When the motor stops, bolt it back on the regulator. It should work correctly now. You may still need to re-initialize it too. (lower the window all the way, then press and hold the up button. Keep holding the up button for a few seconds after the window is all the way up.)

^^ exactly the same problem I had, the re-index trick solved it.

Yep it worked for me too. As usual joegr is THE man. Thanks

I used tape also to hold the glass on a broken cable regulator on my 2002 Malibu-Rh Rr door, but tapes will aventually give-up and if you hit a road bump or so, the glass will slide down partially . I overcomed that by placing a piece of wood beam made from 1"x 3/4" and custom cut to the exact length span and place it below the glass bottom rail and the other end resting inside at the bottom of the door panel thus keeping the glass tightly up in a closed position. It never went down. I used like that for a few weeks until I ordered and got the right OE part from Amazon.

you know what also works great, is fast and easy, and won't leave any residue???

a nice strong suction cup at the bottom on the inside!

works like a champ.

Members online

Back