Gen II CAI

02V8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This does make a pretty big difference in airflow and power.

DSCN0524.JPG

DSCN0525.JPG

Dyno says so, or just "should make a pretty big difference?"

sloban said:
Dyno says so, or just "should make a pretty big difference?"

No dyno numbers, but on Kens website, the T-bird intake gives a gain of almost 16HP http://www.lskoncepts.com/store/kn-63-series-aircharger-intake-kit-p-106.php That is not even a true CAI since it till pulls hot air from the engine bay.

Ive been using this type of intake for a few months and had it at the track running close to a 14.1 at 99mph. Dont know HP gains, but track times prove it works.

Is that PVC tubing? Where do you have the Tubing going to? Intrested in see ing how you did this. Hows the low end pickup? sorry fo all the questions but im really liking what you have done....:)

BlackLS00 said:
Is that PVC tubing? Where do you have the Tubing going to? Intrested in see ing how you did this. Hows the low end pickup? sorry fo all the questions but im really liking what you have done....:)

Yes, its a thin walled PVC, so its extremely light in weight. Its only painted for looks since plain PVC looks like crap. The tubing runs down underneath the car and the cone air filter sits on the end of the piping by the front air dam. Total cost of the project was $15 including all the joints and tubing (filter was seperate, $20). The tubing fits together very snug with the elbows, so there are no seams or joints on the inside of the tubing providing a very smooth air path. The bottom end/off the line performance is great. The car loses some of the lag it has until it reaches 3000-3500 RPM's. For the cost of this project, its definately a bang for the buck.

Its not the greatest looking intake out there but it does live up to its performance. I also get a good MPG increase. I ran for 2 hours at 85mph across state at 28mpg. not too bad.

sloban said:
Nice numbers!

Thank you. It runs pretty good for a LS. Most people are shocked by this car. Everyone thinks it an old mans slow car. :)

02V8Sport said:
... The tubing runs down underneath the car and the cone air filter sits on the end of the piping by the front air dam...

Will you post some pics of the air filter placement. I have an idea where you put it but a pic would be great. Also did you have to cut any metal out where the pvc pipe went through the sheetmetal? What diameter is that pipe?

thanks

n8

Ill see how good of pictures I can get, Id probably have to take the wheel and fender liner out to get nice pics. The filter replacement is easy, you have to just unbolt the lower liner by the bumper to get at it from under the car. There is a little bit of metal to be bent once you look down the hole under the stock airbox, there is a piece of metal that is int he way, I had to bend it back with vice grips to get the 3.25" diameter piping down in there straight. Other than that its a breeze.

GrayGhost1 said:
Are you worried about water ingestion?

Ive had this similar setup since my 2002 LS. The oil on the filter keeps the water out. Ive never had problems before. I clean and oil my filter every other week.

Ive thought of that too, but doesnt seem to be that much of an issue for me. This car is barely driven too. Its nice having a company beater for during the week.

LikeNew02 said:
nice job!

Thanks LikeNew02. Jut throwing out ome ideas since I havent seen this done on our LS's yet. This can be done very easily for the 00-02' as well.

very good, I love when people make stuff. Oiling and cleaning the filter that often is a bit excesive. "Note from reading on the oil forums a dirty K&N or similiar filters better than a clean one" (http://offroadpakistan.com/bitsnpieces/tech/how_well_do_kn_air_filters_work_1.html)
Just some food for thought, I do like your intake setup, I have debated creating one for the v6 however I need to figure out watter filtering somehow, on the garden state parkway the other night I was forced to drive through almost probably an 8 inch puddle. That scares me greatly, I know that honda and vw have water stopper things in many of thier cold air intakes so I am thinking that maybe one of thoes could be adapted.
Eamonn

02V8Sport said:
Ive had this similar setup since my 2002 LS. The oil on the filter keeps the water out. Ive never had problems before. I clean and oil my filter every other week.

Ive thought of that too, but doesnt seem to be that much of an issue for me. This car is barely driven too. Its nice having a company beater for during the week.

I don't think he means a wet filter so much as sucking in water from a deep puddle and hydrolocking your engine. You may want to look into incorporating an AEM bypass valve or something.

aem_air_bypass_04_300.jpg

aem_bypass_valve_example.jpg

Amoxi said:
I don't think he means a wet filter so much as sucking in water from a deep puddle and hydrolocking your engine. You may want to look into incorporating an AEM bypass valve or something.

IIRC Quik had a bypass valve on a similar set up and found that under normal conditions the engine draws air hard enough to pull open the bypass valve.

hockey930 said:
very good, I love when people make stuff.

Thanks hockey930, Thats what these forums should be for. people coming up with unique home made ideas. This CAI, Quiks SC, wheels, tire sizes, etc... w/o this forum we would all be driving stock LS's. :)

I agree that oiling the filter isnt too good, I try to clean it as much as I can, I dont oil it too much, only after a good hard rain.

Crying Birch said:
IIRC Quik had a bypass valve on a similar set up and found that under normal conditions the engine draws air hard enough to pull open the bypass valve.

Beats hydrolocking and bending a connecting rod or cracking your engine block. I wouldn't do a CAI without one.

Amoxi said:
Beats hydrolocking and bending a connecting rod or cracking your engine block. I wouldn't do a CAI without one.

I agree.

The point is you go through everything to make cold air intake. Then install a bypass valve that is open under normal operating conditions and drawing air from the engine compartment.

What advantage does the CAI create then?

Maybe he just had one with a bad spring. I've had one on my 02 Eclipse and 03 TL-S and worked fine.

Crying Birch said:
They work fine in most applications...in this situation I think it was more an issue with the nature of the engine than an faulty part:

Post # 15 & 16

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=2516&highlight=bypass+valve

Post #s 8 - 10

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=1364&highlight=bypass+valve

Looks like it is the same AEM part too.

Guess those that choose to build a CAI will have to be careful. :(

Maybe cutting here
cai.jpg

and rejoining the two sections with another hose piece. That way it's easy to convert to a WAI when you know it's going to raining pretty bad. Might be easier to do if the sensor were further up, but there might be enough room.

the way I see it, is if I decide to drive through a puddle that high. I might as well look at getting rid of the whole car as I would have water flowing in through the bottom of the doors and the engine would die anyway from the exhaust sitting under water as well. Ive never, knock on wood, in my 14 years of driving, ever encountered a situation like that.

02V8Sport said:
the way I see it, is if I decide to drive through a puddle that high. I might as well look at getting rid of the whole car as I would have water flowing in through the bottom of the doors and the engine would die anyway from the exhaust sitting under water as well. Ive never, knock on wood, in my 14 years of driving, ever encountered a situation like that.

I have a friend in Vancouver that killed his Eclipse sucking up water, but the AEM CAI puts the filter way down there. I think they do that to con you into buying their bypass. ;) Just remeber it doesn't take much water to do damage. Water is incompressible and during your cylinder's compression stroke is when something will give.

Members online

No members online now.
Back