Gen I V6 HP Ratings

StanE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
OK - here's a question for the experts on this forum: I seem to remember reading somewhere that the MY2002 Gen I V6 cars had a slight power increase compared with the MY2000/01 version. I think it might have been 10HP or so.
Can anyone confirm this and, also, does anyone know what technical changes accounted for the change ?

I did notice that the MY02 V6 engines have a larger resonator attached to the intake pipework (it's obvious in photos of either engine bay). I wonder if this accounts for part of the power increase and if it would therefore be worth substituting the 02 intake pipework on an 01 or older motor (assuming it could be purchased off a scrapper for reasonable money of course).

Any thoughts?

Just get a kkm intake.

makes no sense going from stock to stock.

not sure what they changed, but I remember the the v6 went from 210 hp to 220 hp

It was supposedly the change to a better breathing air box that made that 10 HP increase.

Just get a kkm intake.

makes no sense going from stock to stock.

Well - if I was to do something like that, I would like to keep a stock look and a few more horses would be useful.
Funny, I remember getting a Gen II LS V6 as a loaner some years back while my car was at the local Lincoln dealer for service. The Gen II felt much more responsive than mine. Even my wife noticed and commented on it and she usually could not care less about such things!

Probably because of the electric throttle body
And the extra ponies--the 2nd Gen LS V6 made 232hp, vs. 210/220 for the 1st Gen (the 2nd Gen also made a bit more torque lower in the revs). Officially, the '00 and '01 LS V6 were both rated at 210hp; the '02 got a revised airbox, and it was up-rated to 220hp.

1: Remove V6 and replace with Carbed 5.0/aode.

2: Remove check engine Light.

3: GO!!!

Well - if I was to do something like that, I would like to keep a stock look and a few more horses would be useful.
Funny, I remember getting a Gen II LS V6 as a loaner some years back while my car was at the local Lincoln dealer for service. The Gen II felt much more responsive than mine. Even my wife noticed and commented on it and she usually could not care less about such things!

Now go drive a gen II V8 so you can really see what a gen II feels like.

And the extra ponies--the 2nd Gen LS V6 made 232hp, vs. 210/220 for the 1st Gen (the 2nd Gen also made a bit more torque lower in the revs). Officially, the '00 and '01 LS V6 were both rated at 210hp; the '02 got a revised airbox, and it was up-rated to 220hp.

It's that revised airbox I'm interested in.......;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back