Gen I differential housing question

Deaconblue

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen II V8 and plan to convert to a Gen I differential housing with the corresponding Gen I CV axles shafts so that I can install a Ford 8.8" LSD carrier assembly. The Gen II V8 differential has a 3.58 gear ratio. IIRC, the Gen I differentials had three different gear ratios; 3.07 for the V6 manual trany, 3.31 for the V8 and 3.58 for the V6 automatic (it may have also been used in early 2000 V8 with the Sport package).

My question - Is there just one Gen I differential housing for both the V6 and V8 cars? I do know that both the V6 and V8 Gen I cars use the same left and right CV axle shafts assemblies.

If there is just one housing and I want to keep the 3.58 gear ratio, then I should be looking for a low mileage V6 automatic differential with the 3.58 gear ratio, correct?

i was under the impression that the only difference between 1st gen difs were just the gearing itself and everything else was the same.

I sure hope so. I just picked up a used 3.58 ratio unit from a '02 V6 LS with only less than 51K miles. I have the a pair of Cardone remanufactured axles on order and have a 7K mile 28-spline Eaton True Trac. I have the tools to do swap in the LSD carrier, but considering that this is an aluminum case differential, I may just take it to a Mustang specialty shop that typically works on Mustang Cobra, Mark VIII and Explorer aluminum IRS 8.8 differentials. Just encase you need a special case spreader tool or some other trick to set it up correctly. I may also look into drilling and tapping the case for a drain plug simply as a more convenient way to change the fluid vs. sucking it out.

i didn't have any trouble setting up a mark viii aluminium pumpkin without a case spreader.
i also added a drain plug as well.

Members online

Back