Gen 2 Mark VIII will not start after motor swap

Found a used VCRM and dropped it off at the garage for the mechanic to put in. (I know I could easily do it, but he's got the car at his shop and I had to be somewhere else.) I got a message that nothing changed with the starting problem. Should I try to find a shop with more diagnostic equipment? I don't think it's throwing any codes though so that may not help much anyway. My spare car is acting up now too and left me hanging today for a while. So frustrating! :Bang

I don't think it's throwing any codes though so that may not help much anyway

man this one is a very tough cookie.

you should scan it and see what the PCM says.. it very well could be storing a code that may add more to the story.

I was fairly certian it was gonna be a VCRM..then again, I was fairly certian of my ideas previous to the VCRM also.

I wonder if somewhere, during the motor swap that a wire didn't get pulled.

the power distribution block {big fuse box by the battery) would be a good place to start..
Check for power TO all those fuses and relays.
ALSO the main power distribution block "beside the master cylinder" is also a place to look/check for broken wires..

THIS is where it gets very time consuming...sorry to say.

I HATE troubleshooting electricity.. you cant SEE the damned stuff.. like you can a trans fluid leak..
lol

Wow what a PITA.

Lets go back to what phreakness said.
Gas Air spark.

First off are you sure the gas is worth a $hit?
I had this same problem with a MG once and it had water in the gas.
Whos know how long this car sat with this gas in the tank.
You know you have spark.
Next I would do a compression test on this junkyard motor.
The Motor in the car ran, this one won't.
So one of the connections got screwed up during the swap or this "new" motor is worse then the one you replaced.

Good luck

man this one is a very tough cookie.

you should scan it and see what the PCM says.. it very well could be storing a code that may add more to the story.

I was fairly certian it was gonna be a VCRM..then again, I was fairly certian of my ideas previous to the VCRM also.

I wonder if somewhere, during the motor swap that a wire didn't get pulled.

the power distribution block {big fuse box by the battery) would be a good place to start..
Check for power TO all those fuses and relays.
ALSO the main power distribution block "beside the master cylinder" is also a place to look/check for broken wires..

THIS is where it gets very time consuming...sorry to say.

I HATE troubleshooting electricity.. you cant SEE the damned stuff.. like you can a trans fluid leak..
lol

Yeah, I know that my guy and others have gone over and over those connections with a test light looking for problems. Is sure seems like something seemingly insignificant got left unhooked, got severed, or shorted out during the swap. You're right electrical problems suck!

Wow what a PITA.

Lets go back to what phreakness said.
Gas Air spark.

First off are you sure the gas is worth a $hit?
I had this same problem with a MG once and it had water in the gas.
Whos know how long this car sat with this gas in the tank.
You know you have spark.
Next I would do a compression test on this junkyard motor.
The Motor in the car ran, this one won't.
So one of the connections got screwed up during the swap or this "new" motor is worse then the one you replaced.

Good luck

The fuel was the very first thing I took care of. It was nearly empty when I drove it in the shop under its own power, so when it wouldn't start at first, I went and got five gallons to put in it, so that should be fresh. All told, including the last three weeks in the shop, it hasn't sat more than three months total. It was a daily driver before that.

I've checked the compression twice. All cylinders are 150 or better. I called the salvage yard to confirm that this was a running engine. It was in the donor car and running when I ordered it. They pulled it and shipped the next day. The motor has a warranty (almost expired now) so they have an incentive to sell me a good product or else they would loose all their profit on shipping it back. The only thing that could be a small question about the motor itself would be the heads and/or a timing issue. But a compression test would expose that sort of thing right? Besides, it almost runs a little bit until the flooding kills it right away.

It sounds like its not a fuel problem to me.

When he checked for spark did he check every hole?
Is every plug soaked or are some plugs worse then others?

If some plugs seem worse I would swap around the COPs.
New COPs would be best.
See if I had better luck.

How is the Batt?
Is he starting it with a booster?

I just wonder if you getting good spark to every hole.

Did your mechanic have to put a intake on this motor?

Were are you at? DFW? Dallas fort worth?

My 2cents say that if that car is flooding the oil pan is now full of fuel. replace the oil and filter before something bad happens. In the early days a flooded engine would wash the rings and fill the pan and prevent the car from running....just like the flooded evap system preventing a start.

Max

It Started!!!

Fantastic news! We got it to start up and run. Blacklsc1, you win the prize! Just for the sake of thoroughness, we loosened the exhaust after the manifolds and it started right up like nothing had ever happened. I'm at the shop right now and we're still determining where the blockage is, but at least now it runs. Wow! Can't thank you guys enough. I have learned so much! I will post back later with a full rundown of how it turned out.

Blacklsc1, you win the prize!

just as he's selling OFF his mark 8 and stuff..too..

Since he wont be here for the drawing, I still say you need to DRIVE YOUR BUTT to houston and we'll go to h00ters.

I'll make it worth your trip.. you'll have a good time, guarantee'd!!!!

dont think, just get in it and point that sucker SOUTH!

glad to hear you got it to run!

Fantastic news! We got it to start up and run. Blacklsc1, you win the prize! Just for the sake of thoroughness, we loosened the exhaust after the manifolds and it started right up like nothing had ever happened. I'm at the shop right now and we're still determining where the blockage is, but at least now it runs. Wow! Can't thank you guys enough. I have learned so much! I will post back later with a full rundown of how it turned out.

Thats great!

Chalk one up for Blacklsc1
I bet he is right...thats why the head gasket went on the first motor.

Take Maxs advise and get that oil and filter changed.
Then enjoy the car.

Thats great!

Chalk one up for Blacklsc1
I bet he is right...thats why the head gasket went on the first motor.

Take Maxs advise and get that oil and filter changed.
Then enjoy the car.
Then DRIVE IT TO HOU$TON and Celebrate!

There I fixed it for you

Last edited:
I am officially a Mark VIII driver now! A picture of the new ride is posted below. I've been out of town which explains why I haven't posted a close out to this little mechanical adventure until now. It's still a bit of a mystery what the ultimate problem was. Like I posted earlier, we separated the exhaust pipes from the manifolds and it started right up which would make you think it had a blockage. But the strange thing is that we put the exhaust back together and it kept running! There was never a blockage, or else whatever was there blew itself out! One guy told me "well, I guess it just needed to be burped." It threw a couple codes that had to be chased down and it still has a light on for some fuel mixture issues, but that can all be dealt with. I've used a whole tank of gas in the last two days and I love the car!

Thanks again guys for all your great advise and attention to my problems. I've learned so much about my car and I won't be afraid to tackle any projects on it now.

As soon as I can get to Houston, I'm gonna look you guys up that are close by and we'll go do the town.

Black_Mark.jpg

Glad to hear its a "DRIVER"!!!

good deal, sorry it was such a PITA!

now.. head south on I-45....

Members online

No members online now.
Back