Gen 2 LS Does anyone have a Steering Wheel Airbag Source?

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
One thing I am hating on my LS is how the airbag is aging! It does not look horrible but I can tell the material on the cover is close to its end. Does anyone have any solutions to fix this so it's not so sticky? I tried several cleaning products and even tried dawn several times but it always is sticky! Would love to buy a replacement espresso color airbag that is in new shape but I am doubting it's really possible.

EBay search for "horn pad", "airbag", or maybe just look for a complete steering wheel

Try Goo Gone or Pledge... gently. Keep in mind that if the cover is sticky... the plastic/vinyl cover might be breaking down.

Probably sun U/V breaking it down.

Good condition air bag assembly from similar year LS at boneyard should work and be a good inexpensive. alternative.

U can get some vinyl wrap and just cover it with whatever pattern texture or color you like. Like any thing. Jus get on ebay or avery wrap site to see what available. Its crazy for real. And its so easy to do. I tell everyone anout it. Can cover other trim panels to make ot match also.. im cover piano black with grey digitial camo. Trt ro tie the various colors together with it.

The stuffs only like 20 bucks for a 2x10ft roll, and thats usually enougjt for covering trim on dash and doors, and covering the center console on avg vehcole. With up to half that roll to spare. Prices can be more or less deepening on brand and finish. And if undont like it later, u can peel it right off and youre out next to nithing money wise.

Ougjt ro be able to pull the bag and lincoln emblem and wrap the airbag itself, tuck the corners so its a good finish, amd put the lincoln badge back on. Wont look like a hack job that way. Alternatively can lay it on the whell and jist reim with onife and tuck into cracks with a car or sometjing.

I picked up a 2x5 fr roll for 20 pn ebay from ezautowrap. Decent quality for the price (ive has several brands and textures over time, and this is midgrade+ quality, a great value). Heres what ive gotten done thus far. (See pics). Dash trim popped of for esy indoor install but the door panel trim is spot welded apparently, so ill ha e to precut sections and donit on a semi warm day.

If youve never messed w the stuff just look on yt for hownto. A channel called ckwraps is a great one. Dudes a pro, for real. Tons of tips.

Anyway, good luck however u choose to handle it

20201230_084515.jpg

20201230_084501.jpg

20201230_110246.jpg

20201230_110329.jpg

Last edited:
WTF ?!?!!! Yeah... let's wrap an exploding safety device in an extra layer of vinyl. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the the wrap won't adhere well due to the texture on the airbag cover.

UFB

I like the idea of wrapping the trim. The steering wheel...not so much, but maybe you can get a horn pad that coordinates with your color choices instead of matching what you got already

I ended up buying this one for now 04 LINCOLN LS LEFT AIR BAG | eBay
It's in much better shape than mine is at least and when I take my old one out I am planning to strip all the color off the front of it and then repaint it as that seems to be the best option and there are videos on youtube showing how to do it on some of the high-end cars.

One thing I am hating on my LS is how the airbag is aging! It does not look horrible but I can tell the material on the cover is close to its end. Does anyone have any solutions to fix this so it's not so sticky? I tried several cleaning products and even tried dawn several times but it always is sticky! Would love to buy a replacement espresso color airbag that is in new shape but I am doubting it's really possible.

Check with Devin (DeviLSh). In his last post he talks about replacing the steering. The way in which he's taking pounds off his LS in preparation for racing, he certainly has accumulated a lot of parts that he may be looking to sell.

I ended up buying this one for now 04 LINCOLN LS LEFT AIR BAG | eBay
It's in much better shape than mine is at least and when I take my old one out I am planning to strip all the color off the front of it and then repaint it as that seems to be the best option and there are videos on youtube showing how to do it on some of the high-end cars.

Honestly Dale... I don't know if I would paint it. You don't know what the chemicals in the paint will do to the cover.

Honestly Dale... I don't know if I would paint it. You don't know what the chemicals in the paint will do to the cover.
The people in town that do repair on that sorta thing said it's not a bad thing to do safety-wise. They just said you basically have to be more careful when cleaning it cause it's not as good as the stuff used at the factory. But if my used one that I ordered is not sticky like mine was I might not even worry about it at all for now.

Yeah... hopefully the used one works out. Just remember to disconnect the battery, (and push the brake pedal) before working on the airbag. :eek::eek::eek::D

Then you get to do another transmission re-learn. :rolleyes:

If you like, I have a couple extra steering wheels and airbags, 1st and 2nd gen as well as center dash vents that aren't chipped or broken. Just private msg me details and ill show you what I got.

Members online

Back