Gen 2 doors on gen 1 body, yes or no?

LS6_5SPD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Can I swap gen 2 complete doors and change the inner panels to match gen 1s interior?

Front or rear?
How much work are you willing to do to get the windows and locks to work?

All 4. I have my doors as well, so parts will be there, it's just a matter of figuring what exactly can use directly from a gen 2 the swap the rest. If it can work..

How did you mess up all four doors?
Almost anything can be done with enough time/effort/money. Many things that can be done possibly shouldn't be.
The gen II smart window motors will be a problem in the front. The gen II DDM isn't going to work either. If you want the driver's side mirror to auto dim, you will have to add a gen II rear view mirror and some wiring. I'm not sure about the locks and the rest of it.

I had a dimwit high-school girl side-swipe me from the 'A' pillar to the middle of the back door on the passenger side of my '02 Sport. I was lucky enough to find a complete set of '06 doors for $100.00. I spent a weekend getting the 'B' pillar back in position---it was pushed in by 2-3 inches---and getting both passenger doors hung and aligned. And a couple of weekends fiddling about before I was satisfied with the paint match.

ALL the electrics work just fine except for the front window. The mechanism is OK in the wrecked door but I don't care enough to go through all the change procedure on the motor. I have more important things to do on the car although I suppose I'll do it some one of these days. No one rides with me as often as once a month.

Good luck!

KS

I had a dimwit high-school girl side-swipe me from the 'A' pillar to the middle of the back door on the passenger side of my '02 Sport. I was lucky enough to find a complete set of '06 doors for $100.00. I spent a weekend getting the 'B' pillar back in position---it was pushed in by 2-3 inches---and getting both passenger doors hung and aligned. And a couple of weekends fiddling about before I was satisfied with the paint match.

ALL the electrics work just fine except for the front window. The mechanism is OK in the wrecked door but I don't care enough to go through all the change procedure on the motor. I have more important things to do on the car although I suppose I'll do it some one of these days. No one rides with me as often as once a month.

Good luck!

KS

Hey man, thanks for chiming in. Basically I may get my hands on a black set of doors from an 06 sport and all my doors are fully functional but full of dings and scratches. If it needs to be done, Ill replace the regulators and whatever else, what I really want is the fresher paint, the all black trim around the windows, power mirrors, handles and glasses. But the less I need to swap the better obviously. My hope is to only swap inner panels and bolt them in.

Joegr
Auto dim sounds cool, Ill have the complete doors with mirrors so if it is just a matter of adding wires I can do it. Or if I need anything else from the 06, like a module or whatever I can still get it from the same car.
You said smart window motor? Is that the auto function to go up or down? Mine only has auto on the driver's window to go down. Id love to add the up and down option to both fronts. I also want to add the seat memory to mine, but thats for the future when I get to the interior. I want to start with the exterior first. She's been sitting for over a year but know, looking at it makes me wanna to junk it. So exterior first, mechanically its still good with about 250k.

...Auto dim sounds cool, Ill have the complete doors with mirrors so if it is just a matter of adding wires I can do it. Or if I need anything else from the 06, like a module or whatever I can still get it from the same car...

... If you want the driver's side mirror to auto dim, you will have to add a gen II rear view mirror and some wiring...

To be [more] clear, this is the interior rear view mirror on the windshield. It controls the dimming of the driver's side mirror.

...You said smart window motor? Is that the auto function to go up or down? Mine only has auto on the driver's window to go down. Id love to add the up and down option to both fronts. ...

Yes, auto up and down on both front ones. However, the smart motors are used to talking to the gen II electronics. Maybe with some creative wiring and relays you can get them working locally. Global open and close may be very difficult.

Good luck!

KS

So all you need to do is swap motors? How about the side mirrors, do they work from gen 2?

Yes, auto up and down on both front ones. However, the smart motors are used to talking to the gen II electronics. Maybe with some creative wiring and relays you can get them working locally. Global open and close may be very difficult.

Global open is when you open the windows with your remote?

So all you need to do is swap motors? How about the side mirrors, do they work from gen 2?

No, the window regulators and everything else too.

Side mirrors are okay, but I think there are some connector differences. At the least, you would have to add some wiring for the puddle lamps if you want that.

Global open is when you open the windows with your remote?

Yes, and from the key in the door, as well as closing them all from the key in the driver's door.

Is possible to use the mirror motors off my mirrors to keep all that untouched? And just keep the housing basically.
Do Gen1 regulators bolt right on into Gen2 doors?

I just installed the Gen II doors on the passenger side and plugged everything in. I discovered in the front that the mirror adjustment works just fine but the window doesn't operate. The back window works OK. I was in a hurry by the time I got that far and just put the Gen I panels back on. I've had more important things to do ever since and just live with a window that doesn't operate. The original doors have sheet metal damage but the interiors aren't damaged so I have all the pieces when I get around to addressing the problem.

KS

Members online

Back