Gen 2 center console into Gen 1

Dthrill_08

LVC Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned I should start a thread about this. Sorry if this was posted before.I did this change almost 2 years ago so I will try to explain the best I can.
First the Pros and Cons of doing this change.

Pro's
-Bigger, more spacious center compartment.
-Nicer looking center console (in my opinion).
-The shifter looks more modern.

Con's
-You cant use the E-Brake. 03-06 I believe use electronic, while gen 1 uses manual.
-You will have to paint the silver/gray it black to match your stereo center console.
- You will have to customize where you place the heated seat switch.
- The light for traction control might go on. Also if you have the V8 with the cluster computer it will tell you to "Check Advance Trac". This does not mean it does not work. Mine still works perfectly fine.

The installation is very simple. Mostly everything is clipped on. You do have a few screws here and there. The only wiring you will deal with are traction control. traction control button and car power outlet. Mostly plug ins. The emergency brake I had a little trouble removing. I dont remember why but it was the most difficult part! I dont remember if I have to take apart the entire stereo and a/c control console. I believe you did to unscrew the old ashtray and put in the new on.

Here are pics of what is needed. My LS8 came with shiftronic and I have the regular shifter. I cant use gears 1-4 on semi till I get the right shifter. I am still looking for it. I will take a pic of my LS when I get the chance.

The swap looks easy and its alot easier than it looks lol. I am sure a few more members have done this before.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK

140.jpg

2e2jvq0.jpg

360343562366.jpg

270652345780.jpg

is there any way to hook up the gen II e-brake? not sure how much of the hard ware is different.

You will have to change the whole emergency brake system. Make it electronic. Could be costly.I can be wrong. I never researched that swap so not sure.

You will have to change the whole emergency brake system. Make it electronic. Could be costly.I can be wrong. I never researched that swap so not sure.

And, it still wouldn't work because the emergency brake electronics have to communicate with the other computers in the car using the CAN bus. It's a very integrated module with fairly complex control over when the brake can be set and when it is released based on the main brake, vehicle speed, gas pedal, and a few other things.

And, it still wouldn't work because the emergency brake electronics have to communicate with the other computers in the car using the CAN bus. It's a very integrated module with fairly complex control over when the brake can be set and when it is released based on the main brake, vehicle speed, gas pedal, and a few other things.

ah that's what I figured but wasn't sure

im sure, with the right ingenuity, you might be able to convert it to a floor pedal (i dont think it'd be worth it though) ... did you wire up the heated seats to the new buttons or just leave those out?

im sure, with the right ingenuity, you might be able to convert it to a floor pedal (i dont think it'd be worth it though) ... did you wire up the heated seats to the new buttons or just leave those out?

I will take some pics now when I go out. They are hiding behind the ashtray.
II didn't bother with the heated seats. They are not hard to customize. You can put them on the sides somewhere if you want to cut open the plastic

i just wasn't sure if you took the time to integrate them into the new buttons on the console

I have no idea where the gen 2 has them.You can probably do something similar.

NM i just realized thats not YOUR ls in the picture... II gen have them with the climate control.... not sure if that can be swapped out

Here are pics from my car. If you get Gen 2 climate control could that work?
See what I meant about the "Check Advance Traction"

Mind the chips on the black paint. I will repaint that when I install my detachable screen. Who else has a piggy bank in the center console :D;)

I bought the car with that burn on the seat. I am looking for a seat cover.

P.S I tried posting the pics but for some reason its not working. Could I pm/email the pics to someone? Hmm nevermind. I got a message that said file is to large. I will try to re size it.
IMG_20120606_153234.gif

IMG_20120606_153238.gif

IMG_20120606_153708.gif

I would be interested in the pics as well. Might be a way to cut some new holes and run the wires to them for the seats/traction

P.S I tried posting the pics but for some reason its not working. Could I pm/email the pics to someone? Hmm nevermind. I got a message that said file is to large. I will try to re size it.

you need to use a photo sharing site like photobucket.

Seems like more trouble then its worth. You dont get any major improvements, just more problems.

Here are pics from my car. If you get Gen 2 climate control could that work?...

No, and neither would your AC then.

The gen II has heated and cooled seats. The gen II climate control talks to an electronics module under the seats that controls the seat heating and cooling modules and fans. It won't work with the resistive wire heat elements that the gen I has.

Seems like more trouble then its worth. You dont get any major improvements, just more problems.

Its not that much trouble. It will cost maybe a little over $200 so that is probably the only negative :eek:

I dont use heated seat or E-Brake. That little beep everytime I turn on the car annoys me a little lol. If someone used all those things then definitely dont do that swap.

Its not that much trouble. It will cost maybe a little over $200 so that is probably the only negative
yeah right... except for the traction button (more so the lack of being able to turn it off) cant use the heated seats, your message center always telling you that you've got a problem, and how sh!tty it looks where the old dash lines up (or doesn't line up) with the new console. I'd say there are a few more negatives than just the cost!

if i wanted a car that half the stuff didn't work on, i would just buy a kia.

I never said the traction didnt work. I can turn it on and off! You can use the heated seats if you place them somewhere else. All I have to do is press "Reset" and its off.

eek.. I've always wanted to do this mod (better arm rest / looks)... but that looks pretty bad... Not to bust the balls there but no reason to do a mod if it looks worse then it did before... Maybe if the colors matched up...

Why cant the TC button fit in that GAPING hole in the console?!?!?!

I like the mod. I think I would paint the trim in the car silver to match the silver on the console. I think that would update the interior more.

Is there a way you could cut and extend the traction control button to fit in the new hole?

Members online

No members online now.
Back