Gen 2, add Heated and Cooled Seats

CTX-SLPR

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

A local guy is parting out a 04 V8 with the same color seats as my 03 V6. Since the heated and cooled seats weren't optioned onto base level cars in 2003 per GrayGhost's thread on yearly differences, can I add them without having to dismantle the entire interior and dash? What are the chances that Ford did like GM often does and use 1 harness for all cars and just leave unterminated connectors where you don't have that option?

Now I have access to the front and back seats, the HVAC head, and the guy seems willing to take the wiring harness out if needed as well. I will already be taking the console partially apart for the SST install so running wiring through the console isn't out of the question. However since they are likely memory as well, I can see the harness running up through the dash and down the door jams instead of through the console.

Has anyone done this?

Final option is to just convert the V8 four buttons on the vent (since a V6 doesn't have those functions) to heat and cool and while it won't get me auto controlled seats synced with the HVAC, it would allow me to at least control the peltiers and fans with some simple logic circuits in the background giving me 3 stages of heat and cool on each button.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to add harnesses. (I can't really say because I've never looked at one without heated/cooled seats.) You'll also need the DATC from the donor car.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to add harnesses. (I can't really say because I've never looked at one without heated/cooled seats.) You'll also need the DATC from the donor car.
Is the DATC the HVAC head in the dash? If so, I've already got that on the list for the conversion.

Thanks for the wiring diagrams by the way, I'm pouring over them currently to see how hard it would to wire off of pigtails through the console if I skiped the memory functions. Only thing I'd really need to worry about is that as an early 2003, I have side airbags by default even on the base model; the 2004 might not have them.

Yes, the DATC is the HVAC headunit.
I wouldn't do pigtails.
All years have side airbags (in the front seats) standard. Optionally, it could also have side curtain air bags. These are up in the headliner. It will say on both sides of the headliner if so. It's important to match up the donor and your car. Either both must have side curtain airbags, or neither must have side curtain airbags.
On cars with side curtain airbags, the seats will have side thorax air bags.
On cars without side curtain airbags, the seats will have side air bags.

Yes, the DATC is the HVAC headunit.
I wouldn't do pigtails.
All years have side airbags (in the front seats) standard. Optionally, it could also have side curtain air bags. These are up in the headliner. It will say on both sides of the headliner if so. It's important to match up the donor and your car. Either both must have side curtain airbags, or neither must have side curtain airbags.
On cars with side curtain airbags, the seats will have side thorax air bags.
On cars without side curtain airbags, the seats will have side air bags.
Good point! Rereading the GrayGhost post, it looks like the early Gen 2's didn't even have the option of the side curtain bags. I'll have the guy check if the car he's parting out has side curtain bags or not.

Tracing the 2006 diagrams you shared, the only external connnections on the whole front seats are the power feeds to the climate controlled seat module (switched and full hot) and "computer data lines system". Once again I'm thinking analog or maybe PWM control from the DATC when really it's just send signals on the CAN Bus. That makes things much easier unless it requires the dealer to "mate" the modules to the CAN Bus or something. That kinda negates the 4 button idea unless I build my own controller (not beyond the realm of reason) for the fans and peltiers.

You wouldn't happen to have a diagram for an early Gen 2 with the V6 would you?

You wouldn't happen to have a diagram for an early Gen 2 with the V6 would you?

No, no bets on the early 03s.

Side curtain airbags were an option that seems to have been rarely ordered.

Members online

No members online now.
Back