Gen 1 LS V8 Springs for shocks/struts

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find replacement springs for the Gen 1 LS? If I could find a set of new springs I think I will go ahead and replace my shocks on the rear while doing the rest of the rear suspension. Also how do you know if you have performance shocks vs the standard motorcraft ones I have a base LS for 2001 so don't know if that will help or not.

Does anyone know where I can find replacement springs for the Gen 1 LS? If I could find a set of new springs I think I will go ahead and replace my shocks on the rear while doing the rest of the rear suspension. Also how do you know if you have performance shocks vs the standard motorcraft ones I have a base LS for 2001 so don't know if that will help or not.
Did you find they are cracked/Split on the bottom half of spring?

Did you find they are cracked/Split on the bottom half of spring?
I have not even looked to be honest but I was thinking of just going ahead and doing it so I will pretty much done with the rear of the car with the expection of the rear wheel bearings which I will do soon even though there is no issues with them. I am just trying to prevent issues down the road! Do people usually replace the springs when they replace they shocks or just when they crack. I will jack up the car in the morning to check more though. I had been seeing the springs were kinda hard to come by in the Gen 2 so I would not mind at least having a spare set on hand in case issues do arise down the road.

I have not even looked to be honest but I was thinking of just going ahead and doing it so I will pretty much done with the rear of the car with the expection of the rear wheel bearings which I will do soon even though there is no issues with them. I am just trying to prevent issues down the road! Do people usually replace the springs when they replace they shocks or just when they crack. I will jack up the car in the morning to check more though. I had been seeing the springs were kinda hard to come by in the Gen 2 so I would not mind at least having a spare set on hand in case issues do arise down the road.
You may want to check out Ebay ...Down in Keller, Texas they have some gentley used MotorCraft Shocks and springs which would be nice because it’s a simple swap out you wouldn’t need to use a shop coil/spring press to mount the absorbers on the springs ...it’s not terrible but I can’t stress enough to never use a hand held DIY spring tool ...these spring on the LS are very dangerous due to having to compress them so much ...talking from experience...I tried it ...I actually got them off but when trying to put the absorber back in the spring I opted to bring them to Shorty’s tire shop

I have an average of 200K miles on each of the eight springs that I have. No problems yet. If your car isn't sagging, then the springs are okay. Spend the money on something that it does need.

I have an average of 200K miles on each of the eight springs that I have. No problems yet. If your car isn't sagging, then the springs are okay. Spend the money on something that it does need.
Gotcha yeah no sagging at all so I think I will just replace the shocks and not worry about the springs long as I don't see any cracking in the old ones.

Gotcha yeah no sagging at all so I think I will just replace the shocks and not worry about the springs long as I don't see any cracking in the old ones.
If there isn’t any sagging I would wait on the shocks until you f el how she rides after the rear suspension refresh

If you have any problem there, it's more likely to be the spring seat than the spring.

If there isn’t any sagging I would wait on the shocks until you f el how she rides after the rear suspension refresh
I want to at least replace the shocks even if they don't need it. I am having all this done when my gas tank is dropped so I can save on labor. My mechanic said he would replace all that stuff with new parts (if I have them at the time ) cause of him having to drop the gas tank.

There are several different sizes, and I don't have that list off-hand right now.
Most on here that have tried Monroe have said that the worn out factory shock was better. I haven't found any aftermarket one that is liked on the LS.

There are several different sizes, and I don't have that list off-hand right now.
Most on here that have tried Monroe have said that the worn out factory shock was better. I haven't found any aftermarket one that is liked on the LS.
Gotcha I will keep my eyes out for a good price with OEM then. MOTORCRAFT ASHV862 seems kinda hard to find I only see one in stock at rockauto. The only one with 2 oem in stock is More Information for MOTORCRAFT AT703G but according to the description it says standard.

If you have any problem there, it's more likely to be the spring seat than the spring

I respectfully disagree... But it might depend on the climate you live in... And/or your driving style.

I pulled this off my LS... And this is what started me on my suspension rebuild. When I went to get some NLA parts from a boneyard... I found another spring with a cracked tail.

IMG_20190221_225055513.jpg

Those shocks seem to get good reviews on other vehicles. Not sure about the LS. Keep in mind they are twin tube... Which is a softer ride than a monotube shock. Might make a difference in ride quality if you have a sport version of the LS.

For reference... The Bilstein B4's are twin tube... And the B6's are monotube.

I just installed KYB Mono Max on my 95 F150 4x4 and they seem pretty decent. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Those shocks seem to get good reviews on other vehicles. Not sure about the LS. Keep in mind they are twin tube... Which is a softer ride than a monotube shock. Might make a difference in ride quality if you have a sport version of the LS.

For reference... The Bilstein B4's are twin tube... And the B6's are monotube
At this point I really don't care if I go OEM I just want the OEM ride quality. I took a picture of my rear left spring (will try to get more pics later) and the only issue I see is at the very bottom which is not the spring itself.
52724392_2464415500259525_535526587236352000_n.jpg

After Jacking the car up here is another pic it does not look as bad as I thought. So I just need to find a good replacement set of shocks that will just plug and play. (not talking about quick shocks I mean ones that match up to the LS)

52596465_552618051925577_462406074692009984_n.jpg

Not too bad. Shock looks a little wet, or maybe just road debris. The bellows/boot that is part of the upper mount is missing. Don't recognize the rubber piece on top of the bottom coil. They may have been changed out once already.

Not too bad. Shock looks a little wet, or maybe just road debris. The bellows/boot that is part of the upper mount is missing. Don't recognize the rubber piece on top of the bottom coil. They may have been changed out once already.
The reason it all looks wet is cause I sprayed all the parts under the car with wd-40 when I got in negative degree weather. I was out of state at the time and trying to stop the squeaking a little bit but obviously that did not help. Can you please link me to the part I am missing so I can get that? I just ordered 2 shock mounts for the rear of the car and I need to get whatever hardware that will be needed to install new shocks. I am also unsure of that part at the bottom. From the distance it looked like crap to me that is what I was talking about in the first picture.

No road salting here.
That was one reason I sprayed wd-40 I knew I was going into an area that had lot's of snow. I did that to help prevent rusting. We don't ever get snow here either so usually that is not a problem for me either.

Members online

No members online now.
Back