Gen 1 LS Stereo Upgrade

Bubba 14

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2000 LS with the 6 disc CD changer. I want to do an upgrade on the stereo head unit. I want to get a new head unit and if possible retain the steering wheel controls. Don't really need the disc changer. What kind of problems/glitches should I be aware of and are there any particular brands/models that are known to be compatible with the LS. Bluetooth capability is a necessity. Any suggestions?

Hello. I have a 2000 LS with the 6 disc CD changer. I want to do an upgrade on the stereo head unit. I want to get a new head unit and if possible retain the steering wheel controls. Don't really need the disc changer. What kind of problems/glitches should I be aware of and are there any particular brands/models that are known to be compatible with the LS. Bluetooth capability is a necessity. Any suggestions?
I started a similar thread a couple months ago and didn't get many responses. I haven't bought one yet cause I'm still putting money into mechanics, but I think pretty much any head unit today can retain steering wheel controls. Pretty standard feature these days.

Yeah... I tried to find that thread. Evidently I didn't go back far enough.

The search function does work... if one can use the right key words (and member user name... which Bubba now has)

Settled on a Pioneer unit with touchscreen, added a Maestro unit that kept the steering wheel controls active. It functions great with the factory amp/speaker system. Very happy with the fit and performance of this unit.

Settled on a Pioneer unit with touchscreen, added a Maestro unit that kept the steering wheel controls active. It functions great with the factory amp/speaker system. Very happy with the fit and performance of this unit.
What model?

It was model #DMH-1500NEX. I got the stereo unit at Best Buy who had a free install special going on. The adapter harnesses , faceplate and Maestro unit I bought from Crutchfield online. The Crutchfield website will display exactly what you need when you plug in your vehicle info. They will list the adapters, faceplate, maestro unit as well as a list of stereo units for your vehicle. The install went well, the guys doing it were actually pretty knowledgeable and did a good job.

Next up I will be removing the 6- disc CD changer from the glovebox- don't use it and will gain an actual glovebox.

Right on, thanks. My local Best Buy installers are a bunch of clowns, they won't sell the compustart remote start unit because it's too difficult for them to install. That's the best one on the market as far as I'm concerned, i have one in my f350 i got in a different state, remote start, alarm, gps tracking, want one for my Lincoln too!

Members online

No members online now.
Back