Gen 1 heated seat repair

Black_Sunshine

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Guys,

My driver's side heating element doesn't work. I can press the button. It lights up, but it never heats up.

I have been looking on this forum for heated seat repair. Found a great post with pictures for an '05 (gen 2), but nothing for a Gen 1. Mine is a 2000 model.

Does anyone have any good links or good pictures on what to look for? Any quick fixes?

Guys,

My driver's side heating element doesn't work. I can press the button. It lights up, but it never heats up.

I have been looking on this forum for heated seat repair. Found a great post with pictures for an '05 (gen 2), but nothing for a Gen 1. Mine is a 2000 model.

Does anyone have any good links or good pictures on what to look for? Any quick fixes?

No quick fix. The heating pad must be replaced (requires seat cover removal).

I have done it a couple of times in my 2000. No pics, but I can tell you you will need a hog ring pliers and some hog rings to reattach the leather to the seat frame.

I don't know if you have found a new heating element pad. But I have not seen a new one for a number of years. I have found them at junk yards. If you do find a used seat that has a good element I would suggest that you don't separate the element from the seat cushion, but just switch it all out. The heating element is glued to the seat foam and you would have to glue it on if it is not replaced along with the foam. Hope that makes sense. Just saying that is my experience.

I have done it a couple of times in my 2000. No pics, but I can tell you you will need a hog ring pliers and some hog rings to reattach the leather to the seat frame.

I don't know if you have found a new heating element pad. But I have not seen a new one for a number of years. I have found them at junk yards. If you do find a used seat that has a good element I would suggest that you don't separate the element from the seat cushion, but just switch it all out. The heating element is glued to the seat foam and you would have to glue it on if it is not replaced along with the foam. Hope that makes sense. Just saying that is my experience.

When I did mine, I just used two pairs of needle nose pliers. That was almost 7 years ago so I was able to get a ford element. Now the butt cushion element is dead again. I bought a new generic element to try out.

Very interested in your experience with the generic heat pad. Source? Cost? How well does it work?

KS

All these heating issues lately - just move here to Sunny SOCal! I am still wearing my shorts and polo to work!

All these heating issues lately - just move here to Sunny SOCal! I am still wearing my shorts and polo to work!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! The People's Republik of Kahleefornya is FULL!!!!

LOL @ the Peoples Republic of California. I read somewhere that there was an initiative in the California State Legislature to ban the sale of black cars and dark colored cars because dark cars absorb more sunlight heat energy, thus use more AC, and thus have a bigger "carbon footprint" than white cars, silver cars, etc.

So much for freedom when you live in liberal heaven.

Very interested in your experience with the generic heat pad. Source? Cost? How well does it work?

KS
some amazon special for $18. You can cut it to size but also have to splice in the wires. I just have to be sure it plays nicely with the back cushion heater. I don't know how close to stock the resistance has to be. I can power it through my meter (has a 10a fuse inline) and make sure current draw matches the passenger side. I don't remember if factory cushion has a temp sensor (I don't remember seeing one before) or if it uses resistance to control temp or what it does so I plan on bench testing it prior to going back in the car in case things get TOO toasty
annoyed-and-disgruntled-fire-extinguisher-emoji-102714.jpg

I don't necessarily subscribe to alot of the nonsense that flies around out here, I just chased after some woman that lived out here. Not so sure now I should have done that. Oh well, could go back after the Vegas woman, still wouldn't have to worry about my heater....

Members online

No members online now.
Back