Gen 1 & Gen 2 Moon Roof Assemblies

Carl Smith

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Are Gen 1 & 2 moonroof assemblies interchangeable ?

Last edited:
No. At the very least, they are a little different electrically. (This is not to say that you couldn't make it work, just that it isn't a drop-in.)

I was hoping someone had tackled it already. I found one close from a buddy who buys junk cars so can get one from an 05 really cheap. Mine is stuck tilted open and when you push the button it will jerk but not move like its stuck.

I had to remove the thing, but was able to persuade it down. Once reinstalled it was too far down toward the rear and i just slowly bumped the button till it leveled then pulled the switch connector. Will deal with it once I find a working assembly.

23557927_10155091033873008_1348558259_o.jpg

I bought my LS back in June with the exact same issue as you (well I was told the moonroof was fine which like everything else turned out to be a lie) and I'm just getting into trying to fix my moonroof as winter has hit the west(aka wet) coast of Canada and the rain has begun.
My moonroof was stuck open upwards like yours ;but is stuck almost closed all the way with the front side of the glass dropped down a little bit and my interior is getting wet.
I recovered both bars and had one put back in after going back and forth a little bit at a time on the switch like you watching the 2 sliding pieces to line up with where I could insert the bars ;but tried with just one in and it instantly just bent up like a skinny dude after his first night in the pen lol so I am going to try with both back in later today.
I'm hoping 2 bars will make it function properly without having to buy a repair kit because thanks to being passenger in a car accident 3 weeks ago I'm injured and off work for a very long time to come.
Where did your moonroof fail? Was it the bars falling out?
That's what it looked like happened to mine, not sure if there is supposed to be plastic clips that hold the ends of the bars in the holes of the moving arms that push and pull the bars back and forward ;but I'm working on figuring a way to secure the ends of the bars into the holes as they pop out really easy.
I read through the 12 step tutorial on here and it seems like a lot of work to have to do when I can see and line up the spots the ends of the bars sit in.
I'm also working on coming up with a better/stronger connecting system as those bars are more flimsy than coat hangers which have been one possible replacement I've thought of or else Meccano Erector Metal Toy Construction parts in place of the bars.

Where did your moonroof fail? Was it the bars falling out?

Mine just seemed seized. It would move maybe 3 inches up and down but no farther. I removed one side hinge piece to get it to drop down far enough then bumped it up level and pulled its fuse.

Members online

Back