Gen 1 & 2 headlamps - differences ?

Lincoln LS

1. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Probably for the same reason that you haven't done it. It costs too much to tool up for it. They would not sell enough to make a reasonable profit.

2. Lseme

Lseme Well-Known LVC Member

I just think $1000 for a reman bumper is a bit excessive. Why is this bumper so different than any other ?

3. Lseme

Lseme Well-Known LVC Member

If the excuse is "well they didn't make many" that just blows the "not rare" debate right out of the water.

4. hite337

hite337 Hite Performance

There were only 280,000-ish LS's ever built. Dead car, not worth the investment to anyone. A company called CDC produced a gen 1 LSE bumper for awhile but they dont any longer.

5. joegr

I wonder what the retirement rate is? For sure, there are less of them still in service every year.

6. hite337

hite337 Hite Performance

I'd be willing to bet 30-40% have been taken out of service. Wrecked, misdiagnosed blown head gaskets (my 2000 was scrapped because the new owner thought that), LS's bought for parts, etc. I have seen at least 15-20 in a scrap yard myself. So if you go by the law of averages, that's quite a few LS's off the road.

7. jrand

jrand Banned

ha

8. jrand

jrand Banned

dont forget the misdiagnosed trannys too...
    thats what happend to bruce jenner... misdiagnosed tranny...he took a lotta roids in the 70s, probably had no clue how to cycle em right
    http://radaronline.com/celebrity-ne...ate-claims-steroids-triggered-transformation/

9. hite337

hite337 Hite Performance

Lol....its Caitlin now i guess.

10. sid

sid Active LVC Member

:bowrofl:

11. RigsLS

RigsLS Dedicated LVC Member

Production of the LS ended on April 3, 2006. All Lincoln LS models were manufactured at Ford's Wixom Assembly Plant which was idled in 2007, as part of The Way Forward. About 262,900 LS models were built. Of those, only 2331 were manual V6s

262,900-ish
    ... just saying :rolleyes:

12. HDDave

HDDave Dedicated LVC Member

I'll throw in a quick response here - other than the gap that everyone has mentioned, the plugs/harnesses are different too. When I installed the 2nd Gen LSE bumper and 2nd Gen headlights on my old 02 LS, I had to modify the 1st gen harnesses by adding 2nd gen plugs. If I remember correctly, the 1st Gen has intermediate harnesses between the headlights and main body harness, and the 2nd Gen main harnesses go right to the headlights....

13. joegr

Also, worth noting is that the gen II headlights are designed to run both the low and the high beam bulbs on at the same time when the high beams are on.
    If you put a gen I headlight on a gen II car, the headlight assembly may be overheated as it will have twice as much heat to deal with when the high beams are on than it was designed for. Also, the light output may not be legal.
    If you put a gen II headlight on a gen I car, then you may not get enough light out as it was designed to have both the low and the high beams on, but the gen I will switch off the low beams when the high beams are on.

I believe that another of the several changes is that the gen I headlights have a built in level to help with aiming. The gen II do not. The gen II have to be removed to change any of the bulbs. I have heard that this is not true of the gen I. ...

14. RigsLS

RigsLS Dedicated LVC Member

Oh you little devil you! ~ in other thread, I got you posting, the 1st GEN is no good. Hmmmmm?!?!? Would seem like a 1st GEN win here huh? <poke> :p

15. joegr

Yes, they did a cost reduction on that. Now I have to get my level out when I want to aim the lights.

16. 1LoudLS

1LoudLS Dedicated LVC Member

you keep telling yourself the 1st gen is better, maybe one day it will come true!

17. jrand

jrand Banned

i was messing with my headlights to test out the genii HIDs i have for sale and had to remove one to test the hids. when i did it i remembered something that is potentially highly-relevant to this thread: there is quite a bit of adjustment space/movement allowances for the headlights... i removed the light and remembered that i had previously spent some time lining it up perfectly in order to eliminate any gaps. when i put it back in this time i just kind of slopped it in there and basically tripled the previous gap between the top of the headlight and the hood by doing it so hastily... this was on a GenII non-lse. i never messed with GenI front end combos, but i got to thinking that with all of the potential adjustment/play that is present in the GenII components, i wonder if those who tried to use components that cross generations did not take the adjustibility factor into consideration when they concluded the existence of the gaps reported above when crossing genI/genII front end components... I only messed with the headlights, but keep in mind you can adjust the bumper hood and fenders as well. if someone really wanted to mess with crossing generational components on a front end i am fairly confident that the geometry and fitment for everything could be worked out if someone really wanted to spend time messing with it. probably better and cheaper to stick to the original factory setup but for somebody this might be a useful post bc i havent seen it mentioned that there is a ton of room for adjustments

18. LSinYourLS

LSinYourLS Active LVC Member

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Keep in mind that the headlights screw down with locating pins, the only real "adjustment" would be to not tighten the bolts, and that would leave the headlamp "loose" not "Adjusted". As many on here have said; properly tightened GEN2 headlamps on a GEN1 vehicle leave a noticeable gap between the bottoms on the headlamp and the front bumper cover.

19. jrand

jrand Banned

you and i are talking about two diff car/bumper/light combos... im talking about a gen 2 car/gen2 non lse bumper/gen 2 lights and suggesting that there may be the possibility of using a gen 1 headlight with the aforementioned combo bc:

the hood can be adjusted to sit lower by messin with the hood stops, and the gen 2 light <ive never messed w a gen1, but maybe it too> can sit lower or higher based on how tight you wanna tighten down the bolts, especially the one in the middle that attaches to the bracket that goes over the tab on top. the bolts can be tight, but still take more torque in order to sit some mm's lower, and the headlight wont slop around at all.

my memory on the subject is vague at best bc its useless info to me at the moment, but i thought ppl were saying there was a gap btween the closed hood and the top of the light when crossing car/bumper/headlight combos. theres no measurements/pics of it so i dunno. you described a gap underneath the headlights, im talking about a gap above the headlight <and on a diff combo>

20. LSinYourLS

Right, But the fenders and hood fit the same for Gen1 & Gen2, the only variable is the bumper. There's no hood gap for any combo of Gen1/Gen2 headlamps/hood...just bumpers.

21. LsCasey

LsCasey New LVC Member

HOW YOU WIRE THE 2nd GEN To The 1st GEN u know anybody with a video or tutorial

22. LSinYourLS

Search my post history, I made a wiring diagram and everything.

23. LsCasey

LsCasey New LVC Member

video?

video?