Gem 2 Fuel Pump modification question...

Mark8Murder

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What is the "circled in red" portion of the line for?

The reason I ask, why wouldn't I just run a fuel line from the pump directly to the feed line. Remove the screw down section all together is what I'm proposing. Curious to hear from folks that can tell me what this part is for and from people who have possibly done some modifying to fuel pump.

Thanks for any info!

LincolnPump_zpsf1c4b0cd.jpg

PPRV- Positive Pressure Relief Valve

Yes, modify it and run it straight... may make first crank take longer to start

I read a post about the PPRV on the Gen 1's and removing it, looks a lot different on a gen 2, just wanted to make sure that's what it was before I started "customizing".

be careful you don't break it b/c you wont find another one......ford doesn't make our fuel sending units anymore and to find a used one is fun b/c Mark VIII's are hard to find at the junkyards unless you go with an svt focus regulator, but even those have to be modified.

This is not a PPRV. That only exists on returnless fuel systems.

What that manifold does, is it creates vac (from the pressure of the pump flow) to pull fuel from the tank into the basket.

If you delete it and run a hose directly to the fuel line from the pump, the car will have major fuel issues. You can minimize it by drilling or cutting holes in the basket to let the fuel flow in. But that also creates issues with lower fuel levels, as fuel will flow out of the basket, and the pump will starve again. The joy of fuel basket design.

What pump was in there before ? Did it fail ?

This is not a PPRV. That only exists on returnless fuel systems.

What that manifold does, is it creates vac (from the pressure of the pump flow) to pull fuel from the tank into the basket.

If you delete it and run a hose directly to the fuel line from the pump, the car will have major fuel issues. You can minimize it by drilling or cutting holes in the basket to let the fuel flow in. But that also creates issues with lower fuel levels, as fuel will flow out of the basket, and the pump will starve again. The joy of fuel basket design.

What pump was in there before ? Did it fail ?

Good Info, I believe it was a walbro 255 that was in there previously. Looks like I'll install it factory, see how it performs and go from there. No biggy if I need to pull the tank again and modify accordingly.

Thanks again for the info!

Kept it stock and WOW what a difference! Guess that old pump has been week for awile, night and day difference. Kept it plumbed stock. Works great!! Thanks again for the info!

Members online

No members online now.
Back