Gas Tank is not full, but gas nozzle trips shut

shriramk

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a weird problem, I know my gas tank is empty, but when I try to fill gas the nozzle trips shut after 4 gallons, then I have to press the level to fill in more, and it keep tripping at intervals. I know my 2002 Lincoln LS can take 16 gallons. So I m really frustrated as I have to keep doing it. I have tried different gas stations but it keeps happening at all places. Please tell me whats wrong with the car or gas tank. Thanks.

I'd start with the fill tube and make sure it isn't distorted anywhere. After that, check the vent lines, particularly check for spider webs clogging them. Lastly, look at the vent valves and check valves.
The pump nozzle is cutting off because gasoline is backing up in the fill tube, and any of the above reasons could be why. Is you check engine light on?

This occurs periodically with my 2006. It seems to me it happens where the pumps dispense fuel at a high rate of speed/volume. The "work around" I use is put a couple of fingers between the gas pump nozzles black plastic flexible seal and the lip of the gas tank fill spout - effectively allowing the back pressure of air to vent - then I can fill the tank w/o issue.

I found the evap canistor under the hood and also found a green color screw cap on top of it. What is that and how do I use it ?

I found the evap canistor under the hood and also found a green color screw cap on top of it. What is that and how do I use it ?

Nope. The evap canister is under the car, near the gas tank. You have to drop some stuff to be able to get to it. I assume that what you are talking about under the hood is the purge valve. It is much smaller than the actual canister. I do not believe that the purge valve would be related to your problem. The green cap is over a test port.

Members online

No members online now.
Back