Gas tank cover release button doesn't work

Tony_1992

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I met a very weird problem with my 04 LS. Today when I was trying to fill gas in Shell, the gas tank cover button under the steering wheel didn't work. It cannot pop out the cover. I had to open trunk(yes the trunk button worked) and pull the mechanical release.

Does anyone have any idea where the problem might be?

do you hear the mechanical "pop" when pressing the button? if so the little piece of steel that acts like a spring is broke and needs to be replaced

if there is no "pop" then it could be a fuse, the switch the motor or the wires to it all. testing will need to be done to locate the fault.

do you hear the mechanical "pop" when pressing the button? if so the little piece of steel that acts like a spring is broke and needs to be replaced

if there is no "pop" then it could be a fuse, the switch the motor or the wires to it all. testing will need to be done to locate the fault.
Sorry for not replying in time. The most weird thing is, it worked the very second day!!!
Maybe just some random electrical problem. Anyway, thank you so much!

Sorry for not replying in time. The most weird thing is, it worked the very second day!!!
Maybe just some random electrical problem. Anyway, thank you so much!

It could be that it just needs to be lubricated.

Mine was like that for a few months then the trunk stopped working. Ended up the switch assembly needed snapped back into place in the lower dash.

Do have anything in the area of the trunk, where the gas cover release is located?

I have had this happen a few times my tool box sit in that corner and for some reason
If that pull handle is hung up by something it will
Not allow the door to open.

Passenger side, close to the fuel filler. You can't miss it, unless some pulled the trunk liner out and left the fuel release handle on the other side of the liner.

Members online

Back