Gas pedal aural indication

FasN8

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an '04 LS 3.0 and it's doing the strangest thing. Every time the gas pedal is pushed I get an aural chime. I've searched the threads over to the best of my knowledge and haven't seen any mention about this. I have zero maintenance history for the vehicle. It has 92K miles, the "service parking brake" light is on. Do you all think this is related? I've read all through the threads regarding the parking brake fiasco but didn't see anyone talk about a chime when the go pedal is pushed. After extensive reading on here, I've replaced the DCCV, plugs and coils are next. I'm guessing the infamous '04 parking brake module is in store for the future as well?

I do think you can get a chime triggered by the parking brake when pressing the gas pedal, if there is a problem such that it thinks the parking brake is at least partly applied. I would expect more than one chime though.
You should first pull the DTCs from the parking brake module before throwing any parts at it.

I've seen two people report this before about the chime every time they hit the gas while the Service P Brke message displayed. I was never able to get their follow up, but they both had misfires. I figured there's a chance it's interference from the coils causing confusion, maybe combined further with a weak batt or alt. But I also figured there's just as much chance those cars had equal amounts of disrepair and neglect, making the whole thing coincidental

On the bright side, you're not crazy. Please follow up!

Since I was unable to find a resolution to this problem on here, I’ll definitely follow up. Coils will get updated first based on what I have read about them. Is there a specific revision I need to be looking for on the brake control module?

I really wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the electronic parking brake module without any testing. It could be lots of things, including the parking brake switch itself. Get the codes first.

I really wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the electronic parking brake module without any testing. It could be lots of things, including the parking brake switch itself. Get the codes first.
Will do. What I meant was, I’d like to check if there is a revision I can look for on the module to see if it has been updated. I thought I had read that somewhere but I’m having trouble finding that again.
* Never mind, I found the post. I'm looking for Rev A!

Last edited:
So here's an update. Plugs and coils have been replaced. Car runs like a champ, the engine light is now off and I have no codes. There were a few misfire codes but everything is clear now. I'm sorry to report the damn chime still happens when the gas pedal is pushed. I do still have the "service parking brake" light on. I located the parking brake controller and it is a revision "A". The chime has to be associated with the parking brake problem. I'm just really surprised nobody else has experienced this.

Did you ever pull the codes (with something that can read the EPB codes, like Forscan)? If not, why not?

Update: The problem was in the EPB module. Had a bad output to the parking brake motor. Had a code C1785 that only the forscan software would show. I have some electronics background so I was able to repair the PC board myself. No more "ding" when the gas pedal is pushed!!
Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, a quick fix is to disconnect the EPB module in the trunk and the "ding" will stop as well. I know this is some shade tree mechanic shit but that ding is annoying as hell! The car will drive just fine that way but obviously you lose the parking brake function.
Hope this helps someone in the future. My little gem is running great now with zero DTC's.

Members online

No members online now.
Back