Gas mileage: Should I turn the car off?

washin34

LVC Member
Reaction score
So yesterday my buddy and I decided to go to an after-work social at a lounge. We got to the lounge earlier and decided to chill in the car for a few minutes before we went in. When we were about to get out he noticed how much gas he had used just sitting idle. He has an 07 S550. I thought it was odd because we weren't moving so the engine had less of a demand for fuel. Am I correct in the assumption?

I came home and got online and I read on another forum that a car that gets 19-25 mpg burns about one gallon of gas every 15 minutes.:eek: I thought this HAD to be a mistake.

I know our cars don't get great gas mileage, but I find myself letting my car run while I talk on the cell and now I'm not sure if it is more advantageous to turn it off. What do you guys think about this?

I don't have any facts, just my personal experience. In the winter I let my car warm up about 10 minutes before I leave. I have a short 3 mile drive to work, and like to let my engine run at least 20 minutes each morning when I start it before I shut it off.

Doing this, I get between 230-260 mpg per tank. A drop of 70-100 miles per tank compared to the summer months.

So to me, 1 gal. for every 15 minutes sounds false. But not by a ton.

Always more advantageous to turn it off.

EDIT: when it's warm.

I have always felt that maybe turning it on and off might use more gas than keeping it on, for example at a drive thru that is taking a long time.
I have no facts for this... just how I felt about it. I always leave my car on.

Do you guys recommend turning it off if I'm going to be waiting 2-3 minutes?

Yessir. I believe that it will save gas. Although, I normally leave my car running. At least lately, since I don't know if it will start afterwards.

Many manufacturers including Ford are adding start/stop systems to their cars to improve fuel economy. If these folks are adding expense to cars to simply stop the engines at traffic lights then there certainly must be a worthwhile benefit IMO.

i leave my :q:q:q:q running all the time, i hate cold. my dad for instance, he does 5k+ miles a week in an 08 impala. he leaves it running at idle for 2-3 hours at least twice a day and he said that it just KILLS his mileage he lost 200km to a tank. he reffered it to like driving a lifted truck.

. When we were about to get out he noticed how much gas he had used just sitting idle. He has an 07 S550.I thought it was odd because we weren't moving so the engine had less of a demand for fuel. Am I correct in the assumption?

Yes and no. Yes, you are correct the engine has far less demand for fuel if it's just idling. That doesn't take a quantum physicist to figure out.

No, the gauge shouldn't have moved if you were truly in the car for only a few minutes. Now, if you "chilled" for an hour, that's another story.

I came home and got online and I read on another forum that a car that gets 19-25 mpg burns about one gallon of gas every 15 minutes.:eek: I thought this HAD to be a mistake.

Wrong. I'd show you the math, but you wouldn't understand it. Besides, it's a pain to write equations in plain text. Furthermore, an engine will burn varying amounts of fuel at idle, based on engine capacity (size), not on how economical the engine is on the highway. Those two things are pretty much non-interchangeable.

For example, I can high idle (1200 rpm) a 6.4 Liter V8 diesel and it will go through 9 gallons every 12 hours, like clockwork. Of course, if I'm driving for those 12 hours, there is more load on the engine and it will use more fuel. But this isn't about driving it.

Point is, whatever forum you read that on, they are incorrect.

I know our cars don't get great gas mileage, but I find myself letting my car run while I talk on the cell and now I'm not sure if it is more advantageous to turn it off. What do you guys think about this?

If you're concerned about fuel, then it's more advantageous to turn it off because when the engine isn't running, it's not using ANY fuel. Duh.

Personally, I'd rather keep the motor running if I know I'll just be starting it again in a few minutes. 80% (or some such, don't remember the exact figure) or engine wear occurs at start-up. Yes, I know, cold start-up. But even on warm start-up, most of the oil is in the oil pan and it has to work it's way up through the engine after start-up.

Many manufacturers including Ford are adding start/stop systems to their cars to improve fuel economy. If these folks are adding expense to cars to simply stop the engines at traffic lights then there certainly must be a worthwhile benefit IMO.

Many manufacturers are doing this indeed. Why? It has noting to do with "benefits".

It has to do with squeezing the most miles per gallon out of an engine, thereby giving their customers a better value for their money.

It also has to do with all the leaf lickers out there who want to kill the trees they so love by removing ALL carbon dioxide from the environment. I guess they missed the class where they teach how photosynthesis works.

I agree with frog. For instance this morning I took my dog from my house to my grandmas on my way to work. I left it running for the few minutes to took me to move my dog out of my car to her house. It was 32 degrees out so I wanted the car to stay warm and work was only another mile form her house. Now if I was to stay and talk for a while I'd turn it off. Leaving the car running is also a good excuse to make a quick exit!

One gallon in 15 minutes sounds crazy, even if it was a 8.1L big block I don't think it would use that much gas(except maybe when it's warming up with the defrost on while revving the engine).

I can tell a difference in fuel economy in my car just from how long I let it warm up before I turn the heater on. If I let the heater come on when the engine starts up it looses a few MPG and takes a long time to fully warm up. In fact if I crank the heater to 90 with full fan I can stop the engine from warming up past the 1/4 mark. I drove 7-8 miles like this once just to see if I could(my drive to work is less then 11 miles). Cold weather and long warm-ups kill your fuel economy.

Waiting in the staging area at Maxton, I commonly just let the engine run. The major reason I let it run is because it's usually 100 degrees or more there in North Carolina, and to sit there, even with a Cool Shirt under the fire suit is terrible. (Carbon-X long underwear, a three layer Simpson suit, and all the other stuff is like being bundled up for winter.) Air conditioning makes it all livable. I burn about one gallon every hour-and-a-half.

KS

Members online

Back