Gas Cap causing scratches

TonyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I thought I had seen something about this in this forum, but my searches come up with nothing. The product I'm looking for sits inside the gas cap compartment. When gasing up it rolls down about 4 or 5 inches against the car to prevent the gas cap from scratching the paint.

Has anyone seen this item for sale anywhere? A link would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nope, never heard of it.

First thing I did was take a knife and cut off the gas cap strap. Problem solved. I really hate the fact that the car manufacturer thinks I'm dumb enough to forget my gas cap at the pump.

My wife's maxima has a nice pocket on the inside of the fill door that holds the gas cap when refueling. At least Nissan thought about it.

Hey guys,... Longtime reader, first-time poster.

mholhut... Some states don't let you pump gas yourself... Not only that, it's not unheard of, of these guys forgetting to replace them... Speaking from experience, I was suprised when I heard a knocking noise on my Sebring, I pulled over and saw the cap hanging... I was pissed until I popped the filler door, and saw that they had put someone elses cap on my tank... Idiots.

bajanbuoy said:
Hey guys,... Longtime reader, first-time poster.

mholhut... Some states don't let you pump gas yourself...

name one. With something to back it up. I just dont buy it. I have been to (or driven through) more than half of the United States and never have I found a station (let alone a state) that mandated attendants pump the gas. I am not saying it can't be true... just doesn't seem logical. I have heard of old laws still on the books (but in no way enforced) about that sort of thing but that is from back in the day when autos were for the rich and "service stations" actually provided service and not just gas. The average auto owner back then didnt have the knowledge about their cars that today's drivers do.

Just my 2¢
n8

For the scratches, just put it down slowly, don't drop it and you won't scratch it at all. I don't have a single scratch on my LS around the tank, but I have already 113,000 miles on it.

It's definitely absurd. Sounds like you're being cornered into giving a tip!

Official Oregon and New Jersey slogans:

Welcome to the "we think our citizens are too dumb to operate a gas pump" State!

My God that is ridiculous...

that's strange??? I was in NJ just a couple months ago and put gas in my rental?????

as for scratches, cut the strap or hold the cap while you insert the nozzle and the cap will sit on top of the nozzle while you pump.

Really it's not rocket science and certainly not worth typing about...but here I am doing it anyhow lol

if i am perfectly able to do something but the law requires someone else to do it for me, then no tip. if you dont tip the guy at home depot that helped you load your truck full of 50 lb bags of concrete then why would you tip the gas attendant to hold your nozzle?!

Members online

No members online now.
Back