garage door openers and homelink

1LoudLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so over the past week my garage door opener has started acting up and i have been looking for any reason to replace it, since it uses a "code hopping" freq the homelink remote on my visor wont work for it. right now i have a Genie shaft driven model that i let the salesman talk me into because the shaft driven style is supposed to be the quietest and the fastest which is a bunch of bull because it is way louder than the old chain style i used to have. i was just wondering what types of openers everybody else was using and what works with the homelink.

Mine was a chain driven one, but the track is messed up to it wont work properly. I have it disconnected and I operate the door manually. The opener was over 6 years old, so the homelink worked just fine.

I'm getting a new garage next summer (with a lift!) so I'll manage until then.

I have a code hopping garage door opener in my house and my visor homelink works fine. It took a few tried to get it to work right, but it finally did start working.

Mine is a Genie, shaft drive, code hoping opener, and it works just fine with the Homelink in both of my LS's.
Did you follow the full programming procedure in both the car manual and the opener manual? (You have to program both the car and the garage door opener itself.)

there is a learning button on back of garage door unit. I think i had to do the canadian programing whatever that means

I tried to use the opener itself like the manual said at least 8 times now, and I forgot all about the learner button on the back of mine. I'll have to try that when I get home tonight, had to do that with my dads Hummer H2 and moms 03 Durango..... weird....

Ya i thinki remember more. after programing the homelink with opener you needto push the learning button on the unit itself and then push the homelink a few times and then it will work. there is nothing worse than a garage door opener on the visor yuck so bulky

will try programing the car to the opener tonight after work, thanks for the ideals

joegr: does your garage door opener make a obsene amount of noise or it mine just f'd up?

will try programing the car to the opener tonight after work, thanks for the ideals

joegr: does your garage door opener make a obsene amount of noise or it mine just f'd up?

Most need oiling/grease once a year, springs, gear and track.

I have an older screw type opener. The homelink setup went just like it says in the manual. The opener is much louder than the chain drive at my old house. And I've greased it like crazy. The thing is just a POS. But until it dies I'll live with it. Of course, it is lifting a huge wooden door instead of the aluminum door at the old house.

It's almost completely silent. When standing in my garage (with the door open) my neighbor's opener (across the street) is louder than mine is. It's about eight years old, and I've never greased it.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably get one of those that opens twice as fast as it closes.

Members online

Back