Fuse box

LS4me

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Sooooo..... I rewired my PIE adapter to the fuse box vice tapping into the lighter for power hoping the system would recognize the adapter right away instead of a second or two after the radio fires-up. I used an add-a-fuse to #3 in the passenger side foot well as it's labeled "radio" in the OM. So we're out yesterday and my iPod dies and I figure no biggie as I'll just plug it in. Imagine my surprise when it doesn't charge...... I tear into it today and even with the fuse out the radio still plays just fine. HUH????????

I did find another fuse (#27) listed as the radio, used that one and all works as before. Sooooooo...... Is #3 (5amp) even used or are they trying to trick Mongo????????

Didn't the LS have an option for a built in phone? It would make sense if fuse #3 would be there for the extra option.

Didn't the LS have an option for a built in phone? It would make sense if fuse #3 would be there for the extra option.

IIRC, 2000 was the only year with the phone option. The OM clearly states "radio"...........

...... Is #3 (5amp) even used or are they trying to trick Mongo????????

For Gen II, I have F2.03 listed as the fuse for the ABS test connector. It is on only in the run position.
F2.02 (also 5A) is listed as being for the radio, but it is only powered when the key is in the start position.

Also for the radio are:
F2.18 - Always on.
F2.27 - On in run or accessory.

F4.05 (trunk fuse box) powers the antenna amp.
F4.18 powers the sub amp (and the four channel amp for THX)

For Gen II, I have F2.03 listed as the fuse for the ABS test connector. It is on only in the run position.
F2.02 (also 5A) is listed as being for the radio, but it is only powered when the key is in the start position.

Also for the radio are:
F2.18 - Always on.
F2.27 - On in run or accessory.

F4.05 (trunk fuse box) powers the antenna amp.
F4.18 powers the sub amp (and the four channel amp for THX)

My mistake.. It IS fuse #2....... Like I said, pull the fuse and the radio still works; RUN or ACC.....

do you know what would be the purpose for a wire only powered during cranking? call me crazy, but isn't that usually the time you really don't want your radio powered up?

My mistake.. It IS fuse #2....... Like I said, pull the fuse and the radio still works; RUN or ACC.....

as long as the acc wire's fuse and the constant wire's fuse are there doing their job, it should affect the radio staying on, especially if its only powered during the start position.

IIRC, 2000 was the only year with the phone option. The OM clearly states "radio"...........

Odd, my 01 has the phone buttons on the steering and radio controls, no phone anywhere to be found though, might have been stolen. <shrugs>

do you know what would be the purpose for a wire only powered during cranking? call me crazy, but isn't that usually the time you really don't want your radio powered up?

Yes, I do actually know the purpose of that circuit (it's not unique to the LS).
It's an inhibit signal to the radio. When it's hot (12V power), it causes the radio to shutdown (mutes the audio and blanks the display, and so on.) They don't want the radio on and doing weird things because of the voltage drop while you are cranking the car.

Here's the circumstance that where this fuse makes a difference. Turn the key on, then turn it off, but don't open the door. Now quickly turn the key to start. The radio goes off while you are starting the engine.

I think the phones were optional through dealers, you would use their phone service and pay them a bill each month, I remember researching this a few years ago, so if you didn't want a phone they didn't out them in, my grandfather still has his 1990s car phone in the garage, I'm curious if it still works or if anyone would even provide it service :p
Odd, my 01 has the phone buttons on the steering and radio controls, no phone anywhere to be found though, might have been stolen. <shrugs>

... I'm curious if it still works or if anyone would even provide it service :p

If it was AMPS (and it almost certainly was), then no there is no longer any AMPS service anywhere in the US. I think that I have a couple of AMPS phone setups (transceiver module and handset) in my attic. I'll try to remember to throw them out next time I am up there. I designed some AMPS payphones in the early 90s. That was kind of fun.

If it was AMPS (and it almost certainly was), then no there is no longer any AMPS service anywhere in the US. I think that I have a couple of AMPS phone setups (transceiver module and handset) in my attic. I'll try to remember to throw them out next time I am up there. I designed some AMPS payphones in the early 90s. That was kind of fun.
The one he still has is huge, I guess it all went under a seat with the phone on the center console, nothing more than a paper weight now but still a cool item to have from way back when

I remember when mobile phones first came out - buddy of mine says to me, yeah we can hang out but he's on-call. Back then, ON-CALL was a strange word, He was a forest conservation employee or something, anyhow, he shows up to pick me up in his PINTO, I get in and he show cases this huge contraption of a telephone, I mean the horn was the size of the regular home phones of the older styles, it cradled on top of a brown leather case which was all battery, came with a strap and all, carry 30 Lbs around while ON-CALL.

Yeah, we laugh about it today, but damn that was cool back then, a MOBILE phone!
Then NOKIA stormed the market with it's ever so elegant designed pocket sized cell phone with a pull out antenna.

Shortly thereafter, we did the Star Trek thing with our latest greatest FLIP Phones! Motorola's they were, Crystal display also with pull out antennas.

YEAH .... We've come a long way since the programmable punch cards!

Right after ROSWELL, technology evolved rather quickly, the way I see it!

Yes, I do actually know the purpose of that circuit (it's not unique to the LS).
It's an inhibit signal to the radio. When it's hot (12V power), it causes the radio to shutdown (mutes the audio and blanks the display, and so on.) They don't want the radio on and doing weird things because of the voltage drop while you are cranking the car.

Here's the circumstance that where this fuse makes a difference. Turn the key on, then turn it off, but don't open the door. Now quickly turn the key to start. The radio goes off while you are starting the engine.

does the radio itself have this other power wire ran to it, or does it just use this wire to kill the ACC wire before the radio?

I know you want the radio off so that its not struggling for power while the starter is running, and to provide as much power as possible to be available to the starter.

I still have a " bag phone" that came free with my dads 94 SHO because the transceiver was bigger than the handset! lol (probably the same thing your talking about Joe :) )

pretty much the same phone that came in my mom's Mark she had, just permanently mounted with a base instead of the bag. (transceiver mounted in trunk)

does the radio itself have this other power wire ran to it, or does it just use this wire to kill the ACC wire before the radio?

I know you want the radio off so that its not struggling for power while the starter is running, and to provide as much power as possible to be available to the starter.

This wire runs all the way to the radio.

very interesting, I always just figured it cut the acc wire during crank and since RAP is through DATA, it just used that to keep the radio off.

well that covers my something learned for today...

This (the hot start wire to the radio) is a scheme that Ford has used since at least sometime in the 90s.

Members online

No members online now.
Back