Funny how it's always a Democrat that says stuff like this...

fossten

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The party of tolerance and understanding and enlightenment

Reprinted from NewsMax.com

Thursday, June 1, 2006 5:49 p.m. EDT

NY Dem: Put 'Bullet Between Bush's Eyes'

In an outrageous remark that has at least one Republican calling for his resignation, New York State Comptroller Alan Hevesi said Thursday that a fellow New York Democrat would "put a bullet between the president's eyes if he could get away with it."

Introducing Sen. Charles Schumer at commencement exercises at New York City's Queens College, Hevesi began:

"The man who, how do I phrase this diplomatically, who will put a bullet between the president's eyes if he could get away with it. The toughest senator, the best representative. A great, great member of the Congress of the United States."

Hours later, Hevesi was forced to issue an apology.

"I apologize to the president of the United States" and to the fellow state politician, Sen. Charles Schumer, he said, in quotes picked up by the Associated Press.

"I am not a person of violence. I am apologizing as abjectly as I can. There is no excuse for it. It was beyond dumb."

"I do speak extemporaneously," Hevesi tried to explain. "And I've never said anything like this."

Though Schumer spokeswoman Risa Heller said the senator was satisfied with Hevesi's apology, there's no indication that he objected to the remarks at the time.

The incident prompted at least one Republican to call on Hevesi to resign his office.

"Threats against the president are no joke, and this incident raises real concerns about Alan Hevesi's fitness to hold public office," GOP Comptroller nominee J. Christopher Callaghan complained.

Hevesi's comment is one reason why I'm looking to vote purely republican for the first time in my voting life. Why? Because I am sick and tired of hearing the democrats spew continuous assaults, one after another; yet, have nothing to offer, except maybe higher taxes and weak national security. It's disgusting!

Well at least he only *said* that a bullet would be put between someone's eyes, instead of actually shooting someone in the face.

raVeneyes said:
Well at least he only *said* that a bullet would be put between someone's eyes, instead of actually shooting someone in the face.
I feel like I'm talking to a five-year-old right now.

That is the weakest, lamest, most pathetic argument I've ever heard on this forum. You have to be an apologist for the stupid to even take up that side.

Three things:

1. "Put a bullet between his eyes" is an American idiom which clearly means shoot someone in the face. It doesn't mean "take a bullet and gently place it up against his forehead, fastening it with crazy glue." Even a 10-year-old knows that.
2. If what he said wasn't wrong, why did he give such an abject apology?
3. He didn't use the passive voice, i.e. "a bullet would be put", he used the active voice, "he would put a bullet." Big difference.

Back to English school for you.

He threatened the President of the United States. See you in two years pal after you get out of jail.

raVeneyes said:
Don't know quite how to 'read' your statement.

Is this something we should allow to go unpunished in politics?
Is it OK, because after all, he was talking about Bush? Right?

The Left are the evil and mean-spirited ones dividing this Country.

MonsterMark said:
Don't know quite how to 'read' your statement.

Is this something we should allow to go unpunished in politics?
Is it OK, because after all, he was talking about Bush? Right?

The Left are the evil and mean-spirited ones dividing this Country.

You know what's sad? One Democrat says something stupid and somehow it blankets what every Democrat in the entire country thinks by several people in this forum. While if a Republican gets caught saying something stupid, it's an isolated incident.

And yes, I agree what he said was beyond stupid, he may disapprove, dislike or even hate Bush, but he should at least give Bush the respect that the presidency entails and not say something that could be a thinly viled threat, especially since he's a politician.

And on the topic of this thread title, didn't some yahoo Republican cowboy politician say years ago that he wanted to shoot Clinton dead? It was brought up in here before and don't remember anyone on the right being upset over that.

Too bad he apologized, someone in politics almost found some balls.
Gotta give the guy credit though, he knows what should be done.

thamarkman said:
Too bad he apologized, someone in politics almost found some balls.
Gotta give the guy credit though, he knows what should be done.

OK. If you say so.:Bang

95DevilleNS said:
You know what's sad? One Democrat says something stupid and somehow it blankets what every Democrat in the entire country thinks by several people in this forum. While if a Republican gets caught saying something stupid, it's an isolated incident.

Are you KIDDING? Haven't you heard of the so-called "CULTURE OF CORRUPTION?"

What about the full court press Cheney got after his hunting accident? He was accused, among other things, of being drunk.

If you'll find me the article where the Republican said that about Clinton, I'd be interested in seeing it.

raVeneyes said:
"Pellets hit him in the face and chest, but he never lost consciousness,"

Thanks.

I see you can't delineate between intent and accident.

It's crystal clear now.:rolleyes:

fossten said:
Are you KIDDING? Haven't you heard of the so-called "CULTURE OF CORRUPTION?"

What about the full court press Cheney got after his hunting accident? He was accused, among other things, of being drunk.

If you'll find me the article where the Republican said that about Clinton, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Not sure where Cheney being accused of misconduct blanketed the whole of the Republican party... My only grudge against that is he didn't notify the authorities right away which is required by law when you shoot someone, even on accident. But I also will not dismiss the possibility of him being drunk or under the influence to some degree, possibly why he waited (sobering up) to inform the authorities. He should of followed protocol and the issue wouldn't have blown up in his face (no pun intended).

It was sometime back, I do not remember who posted it, but I'll give it a shot. As I recall, the man in question was doing an interview (during Clintons term) and when the subject of Clinton came up, he made that comment.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
And you guys can't delineate between talk and action. :rolleyes:

That's funny. The United States Uniform Code REQUIRES that there be no delineation in situations like this.

§ 871. Threats against President and successors to the Presidency

(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(b) The terms “President-elect” and “Vice President-elect” as used in this section shall mean such persons as are the apparent successful candidates for the offices of President and Vice President, respectively, as ascertained from the results of the general elections held to determine the electors of President and Vice President in accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 1 and 2. The phrase “other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President” as used in this section shall mean the person next in the order of succession to act as President in accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 19 and 20.

Once again, Johnny, you're on the wrong side of the issue.

*owned*

95DevilleNS said:
Not sure where Cheney being accused of misconduct blanketed the whole of the Republican party.

The "culture of corruption" accusation stemmed from Cheney's shooting incident. After Cheney failed to report the incident to the media, the democrats claimed that such failure is just part of a "culture of corruption" in the Bush administration. They went on to claim that Cheney's failure to report the incident was symtomatic of the Bush administrations believe that they are above the law and can do anything they want. The "culture of corruption" accusation was quickly expanded to include congressional republicans in general.

MAC1 said:
The "culture of corruption" accusation stemmed from Cheney's shooting incident. After Cheney failed to report the incident to the media, the democrats claimed that such failure is just part of a "culture of corruption" in the Bush administration. They went on to claim that Cheney's failure to report the incident was symtomatic of the Bush administrations believe that they are above the law and can do anything they want. The "culture of corruption" accusation was quickly expanded to include congressional republicans in general.

If that's the case, they have a valid arguement, Cheney is 2nd in command for the entire country. He should be setting a good example. Also, some Republicans have voiced similar concerns with the Bush admin.

MAC1 said:

While hating to disagree with you, I must point out one slight correction: The Cheney incident merely continued the warpath of the "Culture of Corruption." The 'Ronnie Earle witch hunt for Tom DeLay' incident sparked it. Then it went on to Abramoff, etc. But William Jefferson, D-La. gets ignored in all this.

fossten said:
That's funny. The United States Uniform Code REQUIRES that there be no delineation in situations like this.

Well, if you want to get technical, Hevesi did not directly threaten BuSh, he said that a 3rd person would shoot BuSh "if he could get away with it". So its doubtful that Hevesi could even get fined.

fossten said:
Once again, Johnny, you're on the wrong side of the issue.

Don't pretend to know me, because you don't. I agree 100% that it was a stupid thing to say, for several reasons. But that is neither here nor there. All my post was was an attempt to draw your attention to the fact that raVeneyes' sigh of relief went right over your heads. But as usual, you attempt to twist it into something it is not and make a big argument out of nothing. Sad.

If any republican ever stated anything even remotely close to this statement, there'd be a public lynching. I've never heard so much bull:q:q:q:q spewed from one side of the area in all my life. They are so power hungary they'll say anything, no matter the repercussion, to get a momentary favorable view. Just like that bitch from the dixie chicks, she should be deported.

NewsMax.com is joke.

It's a place where people who exist at the most extreme right can feel comfortable reading garbage from others with like minds.

Reading and revelling propaganda, whether written by those on the left or the right, is a pastime for the cowardly and ignorant.

KharmaDog said:
NewsMax.com is joke.

It's a place where people who exist at the most extreme right can feel comfortable reading garbage from others with like minds.

Reading and revelling propaganda, whether written by those on the left or the right, is a pastime for the cowardly and ignorant.

What propaganda? Are you saying NewsMax faked this story?

Okay, fine. How about the New York (DNC) Times then? Would you believe it if they reported it?

Mea Culpa for Remark on President and a Bullet

By RAYMOND HERNANDEZ and CONRAD MULCAHY
Published: June 2, 2006

The New York State comptroller, Alan G. Hevesi, apologized yesterday for making a comment about the possibility of Senator Charles E. Schumer putting "a bullet between the president's eyes, if he could get away with it."

Calling the comment "incredibly stupid and moronic," Mr. Hevesi insisted that he is "not a person of violence."

"Nobody feels worse about this than I do," Mr. Hevesi, a Democrat, said during a news conference in Midtown. "I have made thousands of speeches. And I have never done anything like that."

Mr. Hevesi made the comment earlier in the day at a commencement ceremony at Queens College, where he took a moment to praise Mr. Schumer, who was also speaking there, for the senator's willingness to challenge the policies of President Bush.

"What I intended to say is that Chuck Schumer is incredibly smart, courageous, willing even to stand up to the president of the United States on issues of public policy," Mr. Hevesi said at the news conference. "What came out of my mouth is that Chuck Schumer is smart and brave and capable of putting a bullet between the president's eyes."

Mr. Hevesi apologized to President Bush and Mr. Schumer, as well as to Queens College graduates and their families "if I put any cloud over the joyous occasion."

Risa Heller, a spokeswoman for Mr. Schumer, said: "Comptroller Hevesi was trying to make a point. He went way too far and it was inappropriate and wrong. He has apologized to both the senator and the president and we believe that ends the matter."

Mr. Hevesi said he hoped his apology had reached the president. The White House did not comment on the matter.

Mr. Hevesi's remark occurred on the same day that Republicans nominated J. Christopher Callaghan, the Saratoga County treasurer, as their candidate to challenge Mr. Hevesi this fall. Mr. Hevesi is expected to win re-election easily.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/02/nyregion/02remark.html

One thing you're going to have to learn here, my friend: Bashing a news story isn't the same as criticizing an op-ed.

You would do well to learn the difference.

The problem is that much of the time the NYT and lib media tends to write op-eds as news stories. In this case, however, they both reported the story as plain vanilla, thereby obviating your opinion.

Your statement about NewsMax isn't relevant in this case. Go find an op-ed and then you can say all you want about bias.

fossten said:
What propaganda? Are you saying NewsMax faked this story?

No I did not say that. I said that that sight is a joke and that it is one of the types of many sites that both the Right and the left use to squew stories and opinons so that they may appeael to their radical bases.

You can't see that?

Members online

No members online now.
Back