Full Brake Upgrade

Tractionless

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just finished up completing my 4 corner brake upgrade. The system consists of Cobra fronts w/KVR slotted rotors (silver zinc plated), Porterfield R4S pads and the rear sports Cobra slotted rotors (silver zinc plated), stock calipers, and the Tire Rack ceramic pads. The package is poilished off with Stopflex stainless lines at all four corners, from what I know it's only 1 of 10 sets sold, who knows how many of them made it on cars.

Let me just say IMPRESSIVE!!!! Front end dive is virtually gone! The rears are definitely picking up alot more of the duty especially at low pedal pressures. The pads are very progressive, I find I have to usually let off the pedal to not stop too fast!!! Coming off the highway at 80mph 1/2" pedal travel = almost putting me through the windshield!!! The pedal travel is decreased drastically.

I highly recommend the setup to everyone who likes stopping just as much as acceleration!!!

too much! All new parts! You could do it for half the price it just might take alot longer to gather all the parts/reuse parts.

Wheels Quantity Price Manufacture/Contact/Notes Date
17x9 Cobra Wheels 1999 4 300 Merrill 805-796-0125 7/1/2006
255/50/17 tire 4 100 Kumho 10/7/2007

Brake & Mustang Hub Swap Quantity Price Manufacture/Contact/Notes Date
Front:
Cobra Caliper 2 338.5 SummitRacing #5368384 7/12/2006
Rotors 13" 2 0 SummitRacing # 7/12/2006
Brake Pads 2 0 SummitRacing # 7/12/2006
Brake Lines 2 0 SummitRacing # 7/12/2006
Banjo Bolts 0 0 SummitRacing # 7/12/2006
Hub 1R3Z-1104-AA 2 116.36 Genuine Ford parts 7/12/2006
Hub Retainer F3LY-3B477-A 2 20 7/12/2006

Rear:
Rotor, Cobra 1999 11.56" 2 108.28 Tire Track 7/12/2006
Spare Knuckles, Thunderbird 2 60 Ecology Auto Parts 7/12/2006
IRS Polyurethane Bushing Kit 1 97 Vintage Performance Motorcars, Inc 7/12/2006
Hub YR3Z-1109-AA 2 162.96 Genuine Ford parts 7/12/2006
Hub Retainer Nuts FOSZ-4B477-A 2 20 7/12/2006
Wheel Bearing E9DZ-1215-A 2 97.35 7/12/2006
Brake Bracket 2 80 Ed Nicholson, Ontario, Canada 7/12/2006
Labor/ Misc
Pressing hubs and bearings 89 7/12/2006
Locking Lug Nuts 1/2 x 20 20 7/12/2006

D Day what are you talking about? I highly doubt you have my parts list.

1. I didn't replace any hubs (whoever told you it is required is retarded).
2. An IRS poly kit isn't needed to do the brake upgrade.
3. Wheel bearings stayed, again didn't replace hubs.
4. No labor other than having the front and rear rotors redrilled for 5x108 bolt pattern.
5. Locking lug nuts not needed for brake upgrade.
6. Banjo bolts come with the Cobra brake upgrade kit, reused the rears.
7. Cobra wheels on Marks are PLAYED OUT, come on be original!!
8. Kumho tires? Seriously?

HMM seems as if I already have saved alot huh? Yeeeaaaa!

Additionally:

9.Do you really want to use Summit generic crap rotors over KVR slotted zinc plated rotors?
10. The Summit pads, um wtf are they?
11. How bout the Summit brakelines, aren't those rubber still? The only co. that I know of that makes ss lines for the Mark specifically is Stop Flex. Either that or you are cutting and making your own, not recommended.

Now for costs:
12.My front kit (calipers, pads (sold), stock rotors (sold), lines, banjo bolts, washers) $480.
13. KVR rotors (again not required but I opted for it) ~$380
14. StopFlex Lines $120
15. Rear slotted rotors $140
16. Front Porterfield R4S pads $140
17. Rear Ceremic pads $65
18. Rear rotor brackets $90
19. Labor $60

Take out the KVR rotors and R4S brake pads as they were not needed as I could have used the ones in the kit and you are looking at $955 + wheels and tires.

Did I opt for premium parts, yes but at the same time I didn't replace the hubs which again is an unnecessary cost. Just remember you get what you pay for!!

Wow, where to begin!!! It seems as if you were hell bent on flaming my parts list you didn't see the obvious, considering you already did this mod, LOL! I almost don’t even want to respond to this because it is a waste of my time but here I go. FYI, you got about 90% of this info wrong Tractionless.

First off, the kit is not a summit 13" brake kit! I don’t even think they make one!!!!!
It is the Ford brake kit bought THROUGH summit!!! Summit rotors, OMG are you kidding me!!! LOL what are you smoking!!!! The FORD KIT bought THROUGH summit came with Brembo rotors (not summit rotors). I bought the rears Brembo’s through "TIRERACK" that does not mean they are TIRERACK ROTORS!!!!!! I was going to buy high quality slotted rotors but since the kit came with front brembo’s I wanted it to match in the rear. Come on Tractionless! Give me a break, you think I used summit brakes lines pads and rotors. LOL put down the pipe!

If you read the top of my post it said "manufacture/notes/contact" just because it says
summit DOES NOT mean it’s manufactured by Summit but it is the "contact" person/company.

Holy S! I don't ever remember saying that a hub swap/ knuckle bushings/hub bearings/ is required? But if you’re going to do it right, do it RIGHT! Yes you do need new lug nuts with the hub swap (fact) and obviously if you did the hub swap you have custom wheels/non mark VIII wheels (fact) and if you have custom wheels and don’t have locking lug nuts then you are retarded (fact)!

You spent a lot of money on nice rotors but no matter what your still stuck with that crappy bolt pattern and that was not very wise. Dish out another 200 bucks and you have many more wheel options. You say that cobra wheels are played out. Many people on this board have Cobra R’s and they love them. I have SVT 99 cobras, I only know one other person running those. They were bought cheap with tires from a local person so why not buy them for 300(again, with tires 245’s). They were not my first choice but damn do they look good. I would really like to see you post your wheel and hear what all the guys sporting, as you put it “PLAYED OUT” cobra wheels think of them.

As far as the Kumhos, why all the question marks??? You don't like them or have you never heard of them??? Or you don't believe the price??? I love them and to make it even better my brother is a manager for Kumho so I get a fat discount. $100 for all four!!! They typically sell for $100 a piece, and I can get 245’s for free (but I think they look too small). I sport Kumhos anyone on this board would too if they had that same hook up!!!

I cut and pasted MY INVENTORY list and I FIGURED that someone who has looked into doing this/buying the cobra break kit would KNOW that it includes banjo bolts, line and all the other stuff. Damn, do I have to explain everything to someone who has already done this??? All these parts aren’t “needed” for the mod. A question was asked and I posted my parts list.

Not really hell bent on flaming your list, moreso I wanted to answer the question asked to me then you butted in with yours, and said "I paid too much", when in fact you are the one with unneeded costs (IE hubs, irs bushings, bearings, labor, etc.)

I did not realize the Summit kit was in fact a resold Ford kit. I prefer to support the smaller specialty shops who sell parts for the Mark, not the Wal-Marts of the world. I stand corrected though and I put down my pipe, wow that was good stuff!!

Doing the hub swap isn't doing it right, it is simply doing it differently. So much so that if you plan on going back to stock rims, lets say to sell the car you are stuck with having to swap back!! Have fun!! I understand your position on giving more wheel options but again they are options everyone has exhausted and quite honestly boring.

I really don't care what wheels everyone else has on this BB or any other BB for that matter, no do I care what they think of mine. But if you are so inclined to poke fun, I run 14" hubcap spinners!!!

Kumho's $100 for all four? Yea I'd take them too for that price but no more. Funny thing is they are probably still making a profit at $25/tire.

where'd you get the stopflex lines from?

Thomas A did a group buy last year. I'll pull the invoice and get ya the info. as I think that now the co. has the lines mocked up they will produce single sets. If not Thomas A may have a set or two still laying around.

Yeah, imagine...You go to buy a car and the guy says "Only thing is every time you change the rotors you have to buy 13" rotors with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern, then find shop to drill them to the Mark bolt pattern." How the hell is that logically going to sell a car faster than a hub swap? What a joke!

I didn't know that Zenetti aka BLING BLING made 14" spinners. Really, post a pic of your ride I want to see it. They have some very nice and very ugly wheels.

Tell me again, what is played out?? LMAO
http://www.zenetti.com/html/2007/index.php?section=paulwall

I'm sure he was asking a gerneral question as to the general price of the swap, you don't have to cry about it. You need to learn to share! This is a public forum right! Or, are you the only one who can answer questions here?

"when in fact you are the one with unneeded costs"-Tractionless
Now that youu put the pipe down we can go to step two, which is pick up a math book

My Cobra brake kit from summit $338, LMAO because the same kit was bought for $480 by tractionless...priceless.

I post here to help people and I'm sure Biglou71 is glad I butted in considering he can save almost $150 on the same kit. DONT YOU AGREE! FYI Walmart aka SummitRacing matches prices.

Yet, you lost almost $200 on other parts like rear hubs and bearings, plus real simple labor to press them in.

Some people are better at internet kung-fu. That's all. No need to mock anyone.

Yet, you lost almost $200 on other parts like rear hubs and bearings, plus real simple labor to press them in.

I am comparing the same item which is the brake kit, so it IS logically sound to say that he lost money. In fact, he did to the tune of $150. You cant say argue that I lost money on other parts like hubs and bearings. That's like saying tractionless lost money (over $500 )with the high quality rotors and stainless brake lines.
In both cases those extra items were not "needed." Im sure keith spent more on extras than I did but that doesn't mean it was lost money when you compare parts list.

I don't do that little kiddy kung fu crap, I through straight punches for the TKO. Some of the things he said ticked me off so naturally I responded to his confusion and insults. I think most peope would have done the same. When you reply to a persons post with negative context your typically not going to get a good response.

I could really care less but then again, I cant just let someone say this crap with out responding. Besides its kinda fun!

Mr. Day speaking of insults, I had Zennetti's on my Lincoln before Paul Wall had a record contract.

I spent more $$ on my kit because I don't believe Summit (aka wal-mart) carried the parts at the time I bought them. And like I previously said if they did I would have bought from a private retailer anyway.

I believe I'd sell the car faster w/out the hub swap buy spending an hour putting the stock brakes back on along with the stock wheels. I would then sell my wheels and cobra brake kit and put more $$ in my pocket than I would get if I included them on the car. Then there is no explaining to do!!

I don't mind sharing but go back to the orignal post authored by me then I was asked how much it cost. The forum participant didn't say, "Hey everyone how much does it cost to swap to cobra brakes." But you decided to chime in anyway with your completely different method of achieving the same outcome which isn't the way I chose to go about the mod. I really don't care but I wasn't going to standby and not put in my 2 cents, so I posted my method as requested.

Additionally I just read all of my posts and can't find any insults. If you would kindly point them out to me I would be thankful. If you are talking about the Cobra rims, that wasn't an insult it was an opinion. If it was an insult I would have said, "Your car looks like :q:q:q:q with Cobra rims." See the difference? Don't be so sensative man!!

Pics of my ride huh? They are around!!

So back to useful information.:rolleyes:

Stopflex is the brand sold by Classic Tube www.classictube.com 800 882-3711. Ask for the Stopflex braided brake hose kit for the appropriate year Mark VIII. From what I remember Thomas A saying, they will continue to produce the kits for individual sale. I was in on the original group buy last year during the prototype run. Total with shipping was $137. Completely worth it!!

The kit comes with brackets as you have to get rid of the old rears and cut the the fronts which are part of the ride height sensor bracket. Also comes with crush washers but no banjo bolts to my surprise. You will run into a problem with the stock banjo bolts being too long. I simply stacked an extra crush washer on the bolt head end of the stocker to make up for the difference. To date there has been no issues doing so (ie no leaks). I have done the same on one of my sportbikes at the brake master cylinder, it hasn't leaked in years!!

Enjoy and write a review on what you think of them!!

My turn, Cobra calipers with factory pads. $218.00 shipped (e-bay buy now price). Rotors(Brembos D/S E-bay buy now price)$336.00 redrilled and shipped (probably paid to much for them) and Eds rear caliper kit $90.00. Oh, also caliper paint $10.00 $654.00 and happy as I can be. I allready had Brake pads for the rears setting around.

2055351_12_full (Medium).jpg

nelson photos car-14 (Medium).jpg

killer deal/ride. Those are some great wheels! what size are they?

To add to this, My friend just bought a 98 cobra that has y2k wheels on it. Car comes with the original cobra Rs with tires and is giving them to me... I need to do a hub swap but not the brakes at this time... What year hubs do I need and what do I look at spending?

99-04 hubs

Look for about $200-$250 or so with new items plus the cost of redrilling your brake discs, dont forget the rear bearings, might as well swap them out for new while you are there

99-04 hubs

Look for about $200-$250 or so with new items plus the cost of redrilling your brake discs, dont forget the rear bearings, might as well swap them out for new while you are there

Same years for the front hubs too? Just want to double check before I order up the parts. Thanks man.

Members online

No members online now.
Back