Fuel vapor line???

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Saw this broken line under the car yesterday. This morning, I smell gas inside the car. I am thinking this is the fuel vapor line. How difficult is it to replace? Just a vacuum hose or something special?

Here’s a picture and a link to a video I took.

2CDB45C9-8FC9-400B-8DC5-D7EC6F43761F.jpeg

IF that is the vapor line, then it is really just a vacuum hose, but with special fittings at each end. I think that the first thing to do is to determine if the hose hanging there is the vapor line.
The vapor line connects under the hood to the purge valve. It's over the left (driver's) wheel. This may help.

s6x~us~en~file=a0064972.gif~gen~ref.gif

Item Part Number Description
4 9D676 Fuel tube
5 — Vapor tube quick connect coupling (part of 9J274)
6 — Vapor tube quick connect coupling (part of 9J274)

And this shows the line as it goes under the car to the tank.

s6x~us~en~file=n0039134.gif~gen~ref.gif

Item Part Number Description
13 W705549 Fuel hose bracket mounting bolt
14 N803882 Fuel hose bracket mounting bolt
15 9S284 Fuel tube
16 W500212 Fuel tube mounting bolt (5 required)
17 W503924 Fuel tube shield mounting bolt
18 — Fuel tube shield pin-type retainer
19 N804795 Fuel tube shield mounting nut (3 required)
20 9C291 Fuel tube shield
21 — Fuel vapor tube quick connect coupling (part of 9J274)
  1. For additional information, refer to the procedures in this section.

Now I’m not sure what it is. It right above the transmission and I can’t see where it might have come loose from. It is the size of one of the vacuum hoses that connect to the throttle body.

Ok, I think it is the hose on top of the transmission. Cooling hose?

Now, how to replace it?

5r55w-complete_pdf__page_7_of_84_.jpg

Oh, that makes more sense. It's the vent hose. I think (but don't know for certain) that you have to at least partially drop the transmission to get to it. In the meantime, don't drive through any puddles.

It wasn't to get to this, but one guy on here pulled his carpet back and cut an access hole through the floor pan to get to what he needed to get to on the transmission. Then he riveted a piece of metal back on to cover the hole and calked it. Anyway, for all I know it might be possible to reach around without dropping it, but it doesn't look that way. It's really only the connection at the back you need to get to. Maybe you could cut the hose clean and use a coupler to a new piece of hose. You could bring it up under the hood and point it some way that water could never spray into it.

Lastly, I wonder how that happened?

Oh, that makes more sense. It's the vent hose. I think (but don't know for certain) that you have to at least partially drop the transmission to get to it. In the meantime, don't drive through any puddles.

It wasn't to get to this, but one guy on here pulled his carpet back and cut an access hole through the floor pan to get to what he needed to get to on the transmission. Then he riveted a piece of metal back on to cover the hole and calked it. Anyway, for all I know it might be possible to reach around without dropping it, but it doesn't look that way. It's really only the connection at the back you need to get to. Maybe you could cut the hose clean and use a coupler to a new piece of hose. You could bring it up under the hood and point it some way that water could never spray into it.

Lastly, I wonder how that happened?
Thanks, that helps. What a pain!!! The end of the hose is all dry rotted and crumbly and then just popped off going over a bump or something.

I was hoping it was my cure for my "never fully corrected" lean codes. I am now fairly certain I have a minor exhaust leak. Next project is to put in some new exhaust manifold gaskets.

The gas smell is also puzzling. I checked the access holes under the rear seat and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Nor do I see any gas leaks under the car.

I have read about "leaky fuel injectors" but wouldn't those cause a rich condition rather than lean that I have (P0174, P0171)?

Are you sure you aren't having any misfires?

I haven’t had any show up on my OBD2 readers. Is there any best way of determining misfires?

I used Dash Command that allows you to create “gauges” for a bunch of different PIDs. There are a couple for “Misfires”. I let the car run for a while and I didn’t get any showing up.

I usually look at the misfire counts per cylinder under self test results.

partially broken #6 diagram above vapor tube quick connect coupling (part of 9J274) ...is it possible just to replace that kinda press fitted look tough got a 90 there not much room for error

Members online

No members online now.
Back