Fuel tank drain?

saint777

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My car has been sitting for a few years and i want to drain my gas tank of its contents. Starting her up would not be a problem but a suspect that suger or somthing my have been dumped down the tank. I have good reason to think this because my hood looks like someone took an axe to it, so im alittle parinoid. Anyway my question is can i drain the :q:q:q:q out or do i have to remove the tank and clean it out? - thanks.

your going to have to drop the tank to drain it. well i guess you can remove the hose and let it evaporate.

your going to have to drop the tank to drain it. well i guess you can remove the hose and let it evaporate.

Lol... You have to drop the tank. Letting it evaporate would just leave anything in the fuel behind.

yeah. drop it. and then dump in some acetone. 2 gallons worked wonders on a cougar gas tank that had been sitting for years. that was the nastiest black tar gas crap i had ever seen.

Thanks, kinda thought so, I was just trying to get out of it easy. Hey how much of a bitch of a job is it anyway? I got from the cat back redone, new pipes ect.. that :q:q:q:q gona be in the way? And whille im in the tank, I may as well change the fuel pump. Any thoughts on what i should go with? I got a deablo chip i got off Geno, maf, and his muffs nothing big, so higher flow pump or stock? I got like 80,000 mi on her. If that info helps, thanks again.

yeah if you have sugar in the tank, you need to drop and add acetone or fresh gas, wipe out, flip upside down and dump, and possibly repeat

I recently changed my fuel pump and cleaned out my gas tank. I used soap water and vinegar. Alot of the paint inside the tank came lose and now its pealing. I assume that it will end up in the reserve part of my tank and not interfere with the new pump. However will it cause any problems when the paint starts to breakdown and possibly end up in my engine? Am I a bit paranoid? Will it probably start to rust now sense there is no paint to cover it?

Its the same "paint" as was on the outside of the tank. It comes off in chips. Its gray it might not be paint.

The tanks are not painted.

Anyway, you could dump in some acetone as suggested and de-couple the line in the fender at the filter. Then get 12 volts to the pump and let er rip. The pump may or may not survive, but if you dump in some stuff to really thin out the sugar it may just hold up fine. Once empty, more acetone. Rinse, repeat. Try to slosh the tank around, run it again. Do this for a bit.

Worse case you have to replace the pump. Which I have done twice without dropping the exhaust.

The tanks are not painted.

Anyway, you could dump in some acetone as suggested and de-couple the line in the fender at the filter. Then get 12 volts to the pump and let er rip. The pump may or may not survive, but if you dump in some stuff to really thin out the sugar it may just hold up fine. Once empty, more acetone. Rinse, repeat. Try to slosh the tank around, run it again. Do this for a bit.

Worse case you have to replace the pump. Which I have done twice without dropping the exhaust.

Cool, gona drop her this weekend. Whille im in there I my as well replace the pump, any sug on a pump? Stock or aftermarket? -Thanks again.

What year? Why do people NOT post that! :) Should be required in the signature file!

Anyway... if a Gen one, a Walbro 255 would be a big upgrade. Little noisier though.

Woah... glad I haven't bought a pump. Always thought the 255 pump would be used for the gen II's. Now I know.

engine SIZE has nothing to do with fuel requirements.

the focus SVT pump (it must be the SVT pump) is a 255 lph pump. it will be a looong time before you run out of fuel using this pump.

Members online

No members online now.
Back