Fuel Pump

cpgoodman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so i have a 01 V6 LS. i got hit in the front left wheel area. Nothing too major but they totaled the car out anyway. So i kept the car and am currently getting it fixed. The body shop called and said that it wouldnt start and i need a new fuel pump. I went down their to inspect for myself.

I checked the reset switch in the drivers kick and that was fine, had power on both sides of the switch. In the rear fuse block fuse #17 was blown which is the fuel pump (no others where blown). Replaced that and still cranks but wont start. Next i swapped out relay #7 in the back fuse box and still nothing. Then i pulled up the back seat and metered the wires on both pumps. On the right main pump i have 4 wires,2 hot and 2 ground. On the left jet pump i have 2 grounds. If i unplug the jet pump from the harness one of the grounds trips to 12v power. This is where im stuck. I dont know which pump to get to replace. If the jet pump where out would it cause the whole system not to work? I would think it would work until you needed the gas from the other side. Anybody with any input? I dont have the funds to replace both. Worse its down at the body shop so its not that easy to go work on it as i think about it.

Please help!

The jet pump is hydraulic, not electrically powered. The two wires going to it are for the left fuel level sender only. The right side is the electric fuel pump.

Just throwing this out there....The fuel filter is located in the left front wheel well as well as the fuel lines. Maybe a line got pinched in the wreck?

Just throwing this out there....The fuel filter is located in the left front wheel well as well as the fuel lines. Maybe a line got pinched in the wreck?

This is why i ask. This has to be what i missing. Doesnt make sense why the pump would stop working in a low speed crash on the opposite side of the car. Ill check it out in the morning and keep you posted. Thanks!

This is why i ask. This has to be what i missing. Doesnt make sense why the pump would stop working in a low speed crash on the opposite side of the car. Ill check it out in the morning and keep you posted. Thanks!

Its worth a look because it sounds like youve checked everything else. Good luck

So i checked the fuel filter last week and that was fine. Nothing was damaged. Changed the fuel pump today and still nothing. Can't here it prime, all the fuse's are good, swapped out relay's too. Checked the kill switch and that has power coming off both sides of the harness. The only thing left to do is change out the jet pump. Does anybody know if this would cause the other pump not to work? There is fuel in the main side and its registering that is has a 1/4 of a tank. Im at a loss here so any input would be appreciated.

So i checked the fuel filter last week and that was fine. Nothing was damaged. Changed the fuel pump today and still nothing. Can't here it prime, all the fuse's are good, swapped out relay's too. Checked the kill switch and that has power coming off both sides of the harness. The only thing left to do is change out the jet pump. Does anybody know if this would cause the other pump not to work? There is fuel in the main side and its registering that is has a 1/4 of a tank. Im at a loss here so any input would be appreciated.

A bad jet pump can prevent fuel flow, but it can't stop the fuel pump from running.

Please note that the REM controls the fuel pump. The REM is commanded by the PCM. Any communications fault between the two will keep the pump from running.

Members online

No members online now.
Back