Fuel Pump Replacement

JaysLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just found out tonight I have TWO(?) fuel pumps on my 2004 LS??? I need to replace it(them), but now, I guess I have to figure out which one to replace??? I was hoping some of you here could give me some help on figuring out how I test both of them and if there are two fuel tanks or just one? I know this is going to be expensive and take a lot of time.

Rockauto has the Motorcraft (PFS307) fuel pump with sender for $587.79, but doesn't indicate if this is the right or left. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I am sure someone who is more knowlegable than me can help more. There is only 1 fuel tank but it has a weird shape to allow the driveshaft underneath. They call it a saddle tank. One of the pumps is a transfer pump that sends fuel from that side of the tank to the other side. The other pump sends fuel to the engine.

There's only one electrical pump. There are threads on here about adapting a standard Walbro unit instead of using OEM. $587 is bloody stupid.
The other "pump" is a jet transfer pump. Mechanical only, just there to pull up fuel from that side of the tank. Very little to go wrong there.

Before getting to far into it, just check the wiring and the relay. The power box in the trunk has a tendency to get corroded and cause various odd problems.

To test, just hook up a pressure gauge up on the fuel rail (gen 2 has a test port, right? gen 1 does) and monitor pressure.

Second that Walbro, though mine is Gen I I was blowing trunk-mounted fuses, so I picked up a new one from Fuel-Pumps.net for $125 with filters. The fuel line connector locks under the seat were a PITA but otherwise not a bad project.

Thanks for the info. I went to fuel-pumps.net and they don't offer fuel pumps for the 2nd gen models.

marcredd - thanks for the link, I'm sure it will help a lot.

So my problems could be just a fuse or a relay???? Any idea where the fuel line test port is located on a 2nd gen LS? What is the pressure suppose to be?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I went to fuel-pumps.net and they don't offer fuel pumps for the 2nd gen models.

marcredd - thanks for the link, I'm sure it will help a lot.

So my problems could be just a fuse or a relay???? Any idea where the fuel line test port is located on a 2nd gen LS? What is the pressure suppose to be?

Thanks

You should replace the filter too.
Pressure should be between 30 and 55 PSI
Test port is on the fuel rail, driver's side if I recall correctly.

I bought and installed the Carter fuel pump from Rock Auto. It's been in for about 6 months and works fine. The price for the Motorcraft pump is crazy.

TurboGuy, what do you mean when you say you was blowing fuses? Was that caused by a bad fuel pump? Please explain.

Joegr, what fuses and/or relays should I be looking for? I'm guessing they are in the trunk; are they marked? Thanks

I want to make sure the fuses and/or relays are fine, but if I buy a fuel pump, it will be the FORD Motorcraft. Something like this, I don't want some second hand reject crappy part that works for only 8 months.

I'm a certified computer technician and know when it comes to computers, you get what you pay for. I assume it's the same with auto parts. That's why I don't get parts from Auto Zone or those other ****ty part stores. Napa would be the only place I would consider which the Landmark Lincoln dealership in Denver, CO uses a lot. However, thank you for the alternatives.

Are there any hints or tricks to replacing the fuel pump? My baby now has 100,264 miles on him and I would be ok replacing the fuel pump and anything else while I have the tank pulled down. I will replace the filter too, but what about the sender unit on the other side? I guess I need to get a fuel sender wrench to get this done? Would I get that from Ford?

I want to get this right so maybe I'll be fine for another 100,000 miles and won't have to mess with this again.

Thanks

Fuses and relays are indicated in your owner's manual.
I tend to agree with you about getting OEM parts. However, your argument leaves out the other reason parts for this car are expensive. They didn't make very many of them, and stopped making the cars six or seven years ago.

Do not drop the tank. There is no reason too. Remove the rear seat bottom and there are two access ports to the fuel tank. That's all you need. The Ford fuel pump assemblies come with the fuel senders.
You don't really need the special wrench. You can make your own or use some of the more universal tools.

I believe Friday, April 3, 2006 was the last day of production for the almightly Lincoln LS. The Lincoln execs thought about making a 3rd gen version with the new engine, but realized that would be more expensive then just starting over with a new car. Oh, how I wonder what might have been with a 3rd gen LS. I truly love this car, of course I have to with all the problems it has! :)

Thanks for the help. Thought I had to drop the tank for this job, glad to know I don't have to. So that $587.79 gets me both the fuel pump and sender (you would hope so)?! Good to know. With the two access ports, I'm guessing one is to the left side (sender) and the other is to the right side (fuel pump)?

Was this a very difficult job for you and how long did it take? Do I need to bleed anything like I have to with the cooling system?

I believe Friday, April 3, 2006 was the last day of production for the almightly Lincoln LS. The Lincoln execs thought about making a 3rd gen version with the new engine, but realized that would be more expensive then just starting over with a new car. Oh, how I wonder what might have been with a 3rd gen LS. I truly love this car, of course I have to with all the problems it has! :)

Nope. Once it was decided the LS would not be offered in Europe (competition with Jag was undesirable) it was dead. That was shortly after the '03s went into production.

JaysLS,

The car died and wouldn't start. As I was checking the trunk-mounted box, I found that the 007 fuse/relay was shot. Did some reading on here and deducted that it was probably the fuel pump going out that was blowing it. So changed the pump, filters, and front filter, and all is well.

Turboguy, I understand the front filter, but what other filters are you talking about?

LS4me, I read a story back in 2005 that said the execs had debated a 3rd gen LS, but decided against it due to cost the changes would have been. Part of the debate was the new engine they ended up using for the new Zephyr/MKZ. Sales of the car also was a contributing factor.

I don't know, but I suspect that Ford's coming split with Jaguar was a factor in killing off the LS too.

[rayjake] 3:24 pm: having probems with my 2000 ls fuel pump just install and 3 days later it seems very weak....had 30 psi when it starts
then drains to o and quits..........Any ideas? Thanks

[rayjake] 3:24 pm: having probems with my 2000 ls fuel pump just install and 3 days later it seems very weak....had 30 psi when it starts
then drains to o and quits..........Any ideas? Thanks

Bad new pump.
New pump incorrectly installed.
Bad Jet pump assembly.
Clogged fuel filter.

I don't know, but I suspect that Ford's coming split with Jaguar was a factor in killing off the LS too.
Selling Jag was Mulally's decision, and the LS was dead before he left Boeing, so I doubt that was a factor. I'd say the fact that the LS program never broke even was the ultimate killer (its business case was built on spectacularly faulty sales assumptions), but there were plenty of other factors that went into the decision.

The LS chassis was saved for the new Mustang, when it replaced the Fox chassis, shortened 7 in and solid axle rear setup. Funny thing it is now going back to 4 wheel independent suspension next model change on Mustang. Mustang going back to original engine choices, 4, 6 or 8 cylinder. No V6 instead of straight 6. NAPA & CARQUEST have the highest quality parts across the board. some manufacturers of after market parts alot better than OEM, like Moog for suspension parts.

The LS chassis was saved for the new Mustang, when it replaced the Fox chassis, ... Mustang going back to original engine choices, 4, 6 or 8 cylinder.
The S197 Mustang isn't built on DEW98; it's on its own platform. It was originally supposed to be on DEW98, but Hau Thai Tang and his team quickly discovered that it wasn't suitable, so only a few items (notably the front floorpan, firewall, and fuel tank) were retained from DEW98. And the next engine lineup for the Mustang hasn't been confirmed yet; there are rumors of an EB I4, but it may be a replacement for the D37, leaving only the EB I4 and the V8s.

Bad new pump.
New pump incorrectly installed.
Bad Jet pump assembly.
Clogged fuel filter.

Actually , it was outta gas on the fuel pump side....the return line from the other side had a cracked connector (like a straw with a hole in it , no transfer gas from the other side)....that lesson cost me a tow!.....So Im carrying gas around until I figure out how to fix or replace......Thanks Again...

Actually , it was outta gas on the fuel pump side....the return line from the other side had a cracked connector (like a straw with a hole in it , no transfer gas from the other side)....that lesson cost me a tow!.....So Im carrying gas around until I figure out how to fix or replace......Thanks Again...

I would count that as "bad jet pump assembly," but yes I should have included bad fuel lines.

Members online

No members online now.
Back