Fuel Pump Help & info for site on pressure

Movie Muscle

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have searched the archives for pump info. Frankly my head is spining!Wow what stories. I have read so many stories about problems and suggestions on pump type and install. In fact about the only thing I haven't seen is someone recomending stuffing a color TV in the tank.

Okay joking aside. I have a 1998 Gen II and was going to go with the 255 Walbro pump kit Bill at Super Coupe sells for the Gen II's.

Question 1) Past switching socks and rubber ring etc, I believe all that is required to retro fit to this pump is shave the basket lid and notch the plug. Am I correct here?

Question 2)Has anyone installed the new Walbro kit for 97, 98's from Super Coupe in a Gen II?

Question the third) I have a minor gas leak when I fill the car up. I see the previous owner has had new main and return lines installed. my question is.......Is there not a short set of steel lines comming out of the plastic fuel ring on top of the tank that connects to the fuel pump/sender assembly? I am not sure if Gen II has plactic top with lines popping into it, or lines comming out that attach to the main and return line? If my lines coming out of the lid are pooched can they be replaced or is it a whole basket deal? I know the steel ring that seals things to the tank can rust and cause issues. I will have one with a new seal standing buy.

Now The giving back to the site part:D

I also wanted to pass on some good info to the group . I have put about 9000 miles on my car since I bought it and always found her slow compared to my Gen 1's... Slower than I felt it should be based on other peoples posts etc. Well after a little suspicion. I plugged in a fuel pressure gauge to my rail to check pressure. I found the pump was definetly my culprit, filter changed etc. The warm weather the last few weeks caused the car to slow even more. This got me onto a fuel pump issue right away.On hot days after driving a while, the car would not rev out past 4 grand if I punched it. It ran smooth no pops etc but no power.
So here is some baseline number for you guys to compare to incase you think you have issues. The rail pressure should be around 30-32 psi at idle. Under throttle the pressure should respond to the vaccum and load and come up to about 38-40psi. My pressure was 30-32 at idle and 38-40 under throttle and load. When I dropped the hammer and it reved out near 4000 she tanked and dropped to 18lbs and my acceleration just stopped. The longer I drove it( 1hr plus) in the heat the more the pump failed coming down to 12psi. It fell of quicker and didn't rev past 2000.It started to drop psi under moderate throttle.Just wanted to pass on the diag info for those who wanted some specs to work with when testing. Yes I know running lean is bad, the hour plus was me getting home from the city with gauge installed etc. Note the motor did not pop or act up, it was civil with just no power. I also know it is not a rusted line causing the pressure loss as the loss is directly related to the duration the car is run and the ambient air temperature.

Muscle out

Hey not sure with the tank lid ? but I did install this pump on my 98. The only thing I used was the pump itself. Used old basket and sock, also installed the old plug connector on the new pump. Some say the plug can be modified on this site I did this before I got here. Have had no issues. Good luck

have you done this walboro into a gen I before? I assume its much easier, their is a right up for this in the tech articles with pictures!

Hey Abe,

I saw the tech article and picks for the GEN1 car. I am Gen2 98 LSC things are different in a few areas. Guys are saying mustang pump, focus pump, etc. Then I hear all the stories about things not working. Now Bill lists a Walbro kit as "new" for Gen 2's only. Just wanted to here it from some one who has done the 2nd gen car....There always seems to be a hiccup when it comes to this type of swap.

I was interested in the Gen2 pump from SCP too. I have been meaning to give Bill a call and ask him what is really involved with the install.

i just ordered one of these from bill too- its supposed to come in monday. Over the phone he claimed it was "very simple" I guess we;ll see!

have you done this walboro into a gen I before? I assume its much easier, their is a right up for this in the tech articles with pictures!

you have no idea how easy that swap was. now my 93 didn't have a "basket" that we had to modify, it was a simple drop in replacement using the correct kit that was shipped with the pump, oh and thanks for the suggestion on where to get it, mespock. great place.

the most difficult thing i had to do was bust a rusted exhaust clamp.

Hello all,

Having done my share of hot rodding and building I know things are often not as thye seam. So Hind site 20 /20 I wanted to buy the kit for the Gen II from Bill. I have it here now and expected it to come with instructions as per the add......well it came with an email from a guy who installed it that was ummm interesting. Saying things like "I switched my sender not knowing if it was different but the general consensus is that it is the same"....who's consensus is that exactly? I have made a ton of money of the consensus of others lol
I am sure I will manage .....but the idea was to keep it quick and simple....I may post a pdf of the "instructions" if you can call it that lol. I must say i wasn't thrilled.

Same here- i got mine from bill and wasnt too impressed with the "email" instructions. I only used the pump from his kit and spliced over the connector,; the bowl top didn't seem like it was a direct fit and i didnt see the benefit of using a new bowl anyway since mine was fine. Besides that, the pump fit perfect and works great. Kind of disappointed with bill on this one tho ive been pleased with his other products and service.

Hello all,

Having done my share of hot rodding and building I know things are often not as thye seam. So Hind site 20 /20 I wanted to buy the kit for the Gen II from Bill. I have it here now and expected it to come with instructions as per the add......well it came with an email from a guy who installed it that was ummm interesting. Saying things like "I switched my sender not knowing if it was different but the general consensus is that it is the same"....who's consensus is that exactly? I have made a ton of money of the consensus of others lol
I am sure I will manage .....but the idea was to keep it quick and simple....I may post a pdf of the "instructions" if you can call it that lol. I must say i wasn't thrilled.

Hey Jeff,

I have done some research on the "new pump" It is a Focus pump. I could have bought it here in Canada Cheaper. I am trying to confirm the flow rate.....I am going to pull apart the "new basket" and see if it has a module thats works with the computer to increase flow rate based on demand.I believe it does. I have not been able to confirm the 255lph flow rate at this time. I have friends who work at the dealership and are quality rodders as well. So far cannot confirm the rate and the part number shows as a Z -tec Focus 16 valve pump. I will also only be using the pump to eliminate the concensus that things all match up and work angle.

Well everyone always has input....mostly based on no knowledge lol

Well there is no module..I was skeptical. The computer is all that controls things based on demand.

It is nothing more than a SVT Focus pump with a different par number due to updates and superceeds etc. I will be just using the pump as from what I see the sender etc would likely not be compatible. I also could have bought said pump fpr 97 bucks instead....so much for the price guarantee...Actually I haven't mentioned it to Bill yet. He should be marketing it more appropriately

He says

"A complete kit with high quality Walbro pump, vehicle specific sock filter/screen, gasket, and misc. hardware. This pump is similar to the factory pump but does require some easy minor work needed to make it hook up and fit well. This is the only high flow alternative we are aware of for the '97/98 Mark VIII so it is worth the extra effort! Instructions are included."

Not true! Not a kit just a complete Focus assembly...how does he know the sock is right etc. I might just scan and post the "instructions for everyone to get a good laugh. As i stated it is a emailfrom a guy to him just talking about what he did and what he thought could be done!

yea the bowl def didnt look compatible.. i just used the pump. Oh well, the pump did fit good! thats probably the last thing id buy from bill anyway since im pretty much done modding

Members online

No members online now.
Back