Fuel Pump (02 V6)?

rugger33

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just soliciting thoughts/am wondering if fuel pump is in imminent danger of failure. Problem started today, no CEL but stalled several times at various speeds. Starts sputtering, acting like it's not getting much gas then shuts down completely. Not fun on South Florida highways but does restart after a few minutes. Power doesn't seem to be an issue on restart and there is no hesitation throughout the gears up to 80 MPH...just quits after a bit.

Fuel pump or?? I've had her since new and they've never been changed. Any way to check before they actually go??

Thanks in advance..

several things

I have the 01V6,

have you changed out the PCV elbow and vacuum line to the throttle body yet?

This could also be a failing IAC valve on the throttle body, have you changed that yet?

or fuel pump, could be failing fuel pump motor.

could be any of these.

what have you replaced so far and your mileage?

I've replaced the IAC valve, and the PCV elbow so far. Mileage just turned 180K...and it idles great and runs like a champ when it runs...haven't done the vacuum line yet (or the fuel pump)...

As a follow up to this, I have now replaced the fuel pump and the same thing happens. I have noticed that it only stalls out after it gets pretty warm. The stalls are odd; it's just a clean cut out, not sputters or anything. After about a minute, the things starts right up and goes for a minute or two but once it starts quitting, it does it regularly. Engine is not throwing codes. I had an old battery so replaced that in case something was shorting out (though couldn't figure out for the life of me why that would happen). I replaced the radio right before this started happening, could that somehow be related??

Any thoughts? Probably do all the coils and plugs next week but I have had those go before and it wasn't like this. There was more rough idling (which I don't have here). Could it be transmission related?

Check the PCM relay and socket in the trunk.

alright... I haven't checked the PCM relay or the socket in the trunk yet as I don't know where they are but finally pulled a code...p0320? I am going to search for it here but it's odd, will idle forever, only stalls when warmed up and in drive...

this is all I found...

P0320 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction

any suggestions as to what this means?

It's just a guess without some testing, but it might be the crankshaft position sensor.

Yeah..I ordered one.. Probably will do coils and plugs again too. maybe it's just sad, it started the day I bought and Audi S5:) No kidding on when it started.

Just to update anybody who may have this issue....after replacing the fuel pump, battery, coils and plugs, and continuing to experience the stall, I replaced the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) and that did it.

It's a relatively easy fix. You need to come at it from the bottom. I removed the alternator and it was a snap. Amazing how well it runs now (thanks to all the other crap I did too:)) Thanks for all the input.

Staff online

Members online

Back