fuel filter replacement

rjlotz

New LVC Member
Reaction score
hello ! New to this site. Does anyone know if it takes any special tools for the fuel lines on the fuel filter? Or just a simple job to replace it? Any replies and/or advice will be greatly appreciated!:)

hello ! New to this site. Does anyone know if it takes any special tools for the fuel lines on the fuel filter? Or just a simple job to replace it? Any replies and/or advice will be greatly appreciated!:)

rjlotz,

Replacing the fuel filter on a CTS isn't too difficult of a job- an individual possessing moderate mechanical skills can accomplish the repairs in about an hour or so (depending on how many beer breaks that you take. I recommend incorporating at least two into the procedure ;))

**REQUIRED TOOLS AND PARTS**
Jack stand (O'Riley or Autozone sells cheap jack stands)
Gas can
Open end wrench
New Fuel Filter (I bought my OEM replacement filter from gmpartsgiant.com for under $15)

**THE PROCEDURE**
1) Locate the Cadillac CTS fuel filter underneath the passenger side of the vehicle, just in front of the rear tire.

2) Open the vehicles gas cap to relieve the pressure in the fuel line and then reattach the cap.

3) Lift the car up with a floor jack near the right rear tire and slide a jack stand under the axle near the tire.

4) Lower the vehicle down so that it is resting on the jack stand and place a gas can underneath the fuel filter to catch any gas leaking from the lines.

5) Slide the quick-connect fitting on the gas tank side of the fuel filter back and pull the fuel line away from the filter by hand, placing the end of the fuel line in the gas can to catch any leaking fuel.

6) Detach the threaded fittings on the engine side of the fuel line from the fuel filter with an open-end wrench.

7) Remove the fuel filter from the fuel line and place the end of the fuel line into the gas can to catch any excess fuel.

8) Take the gas can out from under the CTS and remove the old fuel filter.

Please keep in mind that this is a very rudimentary write-up and some details of the job may have been omitted. I also can't post pics because I'm at work right now and I'm supposed to be..well, working. Therefore, other members should feel free to supplement this guide! ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back