Fuel filter "R" clips?

NYC LS8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Those of you who've changed yours on your own - tell me that new fuel filters for these cars from parts stores usually come with these clips?

The place I bought it from is obviously closed today so I can't head over there and bitch them out over it. :mad:

yeah, they usually come with the clip. I actually think the last one had two plastic clips.

But, to be sure, call the nearest chain store and ask them to check in the box for you before picking it up.

Ive changed my fuel filter on my 3 LS's many times and have never had the clips come with the filter. You can get universal Ford Fuel filter clips in the HELP section of any auto part store. They come in a 6-pack with 3 different pairs of sizes. I got mine at AutoZone for like $2.

Ive changed my fuel filter on my 3 LS's many times and have never had the clips come with the filter. You can get universal Ford Fuel filter clips in the HELP section of any auto part store. They come in a 6-pack with 3 different pairs of sizes. I got mine at AutoZone for like $2.

Awesome. My local parts place that I got this from has a HELP section, so I'll check tomorrow after work. Luckily I don't have anywhere to go today, because that could get kinda hot and crispy if I did. :D I just hate having to do things twice because of wrong parts and stuff. Oh well.

Thanks for the replies. Just glad that these things aren't dealer only pieces!

Yeah, I hear ya. Everyone I've ever bought for my Mark VIIs and the VIII I had, they came with the filter. Sometimes they weren't in there and I'd have to have them find them for me which is why I asked about these cars. Never know what's dealer only or not with them lol

Just to update with a little info in case anyone else runs into this problem..

Use the black clips. The white ones don't come close to working right.

Everything's in and working thankfully. There was an issue with the filter I bought, though. Seems that WIX screwed up when making it and had the inlet side of the filter too small for the connector. Wound up bringing it back and having them give me a replacement that was the right size. If they stocked Motorcraft still, I woulda had one of those instead, but gotta keep the local, small parts place in business.

Where is the Fuel Pump Relay?

I'm getting ready to change my fuel filter, and I don't know where the fuel pump relay is, so I can release the pressure in the fuel system. Any pointers? Also, thanks for the information about the clips. I didn't know that I needed them, and the fuel filter (motorcraft) didn't come with any.

I'm getting ready to change my fuel filter, and I don't know where the fuel pump relay is, so I can release the pressure in the fuel system. Any pointers? Also, thanks for the information about the clips. I didn't know that I needed them, and the fuel filter (motorcraft) didn't come with any.

If you don't start the car for a few hours before you do the job the pressure should be at a safe level. I didn't touch the relay when I did mine but the car was sitting for at least 8 hrs before I did it. Good Luck!

Fuel filter connectors on 2005 LS

I just tried to change my fuel filter. It didn't need any of the clips. One side of the filter had a button that just needed pressing for the fuel line to come off. The other side had a metal clip clipped around the fuel line. After taking the clip off, I wasn't able to get the fuel filter off. It looks like it has another metal clip inside the connector. The fuel filter connector is all metal, no plastic. Any hints on how to get this other connector off? I don't see anything about this connector in the Service DVD. To answer my previous question about the fuel filter relay, it's in the trunk.

Members online

No members online now.
Back