Fuel filter disconnect help

owlman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to change my fuel filter. The output side coupling came off easy, but I can't get the input side off (where the spring is). The service manual says to use some special tool, which I don't have... can I do it without said tool? thanks!

Fuel Filter question

May I ask which filter are you tring to change? The filter located inside the Drivers wheel well comes right off when you remove the plastic clips from each end. Expect half a cup of gas to leak out so be ready with a container. If you are trying to disconnect the fuel line on top of the engine you will need the round plactic fuel line removal tool from an auto parts store.

I am talking about the filter in the wheel well. On my year it has a fitting on one end where you push in the button and it pops off, but the other end has the spring fitting that requires the tool.
I tried various cheapo methods to push in those springs but I think i'll just go spend the few bucks for the tool ;)

The tool is really cheap. You can find it in the "help" section in the auto store. It also works on the connections with the little plastic clips. If you use the tool, you don't have to break and replace the clips.

The tool is really cheap. You can find it in the "help" section in the auto store. It also works on the connections with the little plastic clips. If you use the tool, you don't have to break and replace the clips.

Do you know what size to use? They had two sizes at Kragen. 3/8 and some other size, I forget. They were $15.99 :eek:

Do you know what size to use? They had two sizes at Kragen. 3/8 and some other size, I forget. They were $15.99 :eek:
I bought a 'complete' (about a half dozen) set of the plastic disconnect tools earlier today. Cost about $8. Used it to disconnect the fuel line from the end of the fuel rail. Works great, and although I have 2-3K$ worth of Snap-On, these will probably last the rest of my life. No need to spend the $ for a metal tool.
KS

Sorry, I don't remember the size. I got a set of all sizes for about $5 at Advance Auto.

I had the plastic clamp and I just used a Needle nose. The other was one of the metal ones were you push the 2 nubs toward each other on the top pf the clamp and it loosens the clamp.

If you are talking about the one with the 2 nubs that pinch in wards toward each other ( it is kinda like a spring action ) you could use a needle nose for those as well. It just takes force and may need to be twisted off a bit till its lose so be careful cause the last time I did a filter with clamps like that I pulled it hard and when it came off it splashed gas all over me.

i didnt spend anything extra at all.

I too bought the plastic a/c/fuel line set for about $5. Worked fine! thanks all.

btw Wix 33595 WILL NOT FIT. The application guide on their website says it does. But the ends are the wrong diameter. Be careful if you buy a Wix filter!

Members online

No members online now.
Back