fuel economy

gadget73

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
About what kind of gas mileage do y'all get? First tank on the 86 TC shows 14.8, but thats about half around town driving, and some of that was with one of the front calipers hanging up. It also has a 160 degree tstat installed. About what should I expect once it's back in proper operating order with the 180 degree tstat and such?

If I'm light on the pedal I can get 16mpg in the city. I don't do too much highway driving but I think I can get 21 or 22 with my 5.0 90' Towncar. If I step on it a little I get about 15 in the city. :give

Pepsi2185 said:
gadget, central or multiport
MPI all the way. Factory duals too with the H pipe and whatnot. One of the EGR lines from the driver's side cat is broken open too, not sure how much if at all that will affect me. Its a hole about big enough to stuff a thumb into, and just enough to make a mildly annoying noise.

gadget73 said:
MPI all the way. Factory duals too with the H pipe and whatnot. One of the EGR lines from the driver's side cat is broken open too, not sure how much if at all that will affect me. Its a hole about big enough to stuff a thumb into, and just enough to make a mildly annoying noise.

I bought a 1994 T/C and I am averaging 19.1 and climbing with 70% highway. I have changed out the following over the past 2 weeks:

Fuel filter
Tstat
Radiator
Cleaned the plenum area
Oil + filter change
Plugs
Air Filter

My 1986 T/C did about 22 under the same conditions but something happened and it dropped to 14. The only noticeable singn was a slight loss of power. I end up trading it and never found the problem.

My 1998 did about 21 under the same conditions and it never changed for the time I drove it....

Last edited:
My '92 TC with the 4.6L , I average about 17.4 in the city and 24.2 on the highway. I do a LOT of local interstate driving on I-95. Using 87 Octane gas, combined average is 20.8 Regular maint. (oil changes @3K) Bottle of Fuel Injector Cleaner (Valvoline w/synthetic additives) every 4th tankfull. Check the tire pressure! That's something that's always overlooked. You'd be surprised how an underinflated tire, especially on these land yachts, can reduce your mileage.

gadget73 said:
About what kind of gas mileage do y'all get? First tank on the 86 TC shows 14.8, but thats about half around town driving, and some of that was with one of the front calipers hanging up. It also has a 160 degree tstat installed. About what should I expect once it's back in proper operating order with the 180 degree tstat and such?

HizHonor said:
My '92 TC with the 4.6L , I average about 17.4 in the city and 24.2 on the highway. I do a LOT of local interstate driving on I-95. Using 87 Octane gas, combined average is 20.8 Regular maint. (oil changes @3K) Bottle of Fuel Injector Cleaner (Valvoline w/synthetic additives) every 4th tankfull. Check the tire pressure! That's something that's always overlooked. You'd be surprised how an underinflated tire, especially on these land yachts, can reduce your mileage.
I keep my tires at 35 psi. I also do pretty much highway runs. My trip to work each day is 42 miles each way. Its slowly getting better, first runs were 14.7 and i'm now sitting at 15.7 after the third tank. Considering this car sat for a long time and did very short runs, I expected the thing to slowly clear itself out. It runs better every time I go somplace. Even startups in the morning are faster. What used to take 15-20 seconds of cranking now takes 3 or less.

The deal with a 160* thermo is when the motor is running 'cool' the computer 'sees' it as cold and richens up the mixture, which is equivelant to keeping a manual choke partially pulled. This affects mileage, engine wear and fouling out plugs. It is an old trick to 'help' a stocker when you drag it.
When you run the reccomend thermo in the 180*-192* range this keeps everything right with the motor and comp. Also when you are in a hotter clime or towing this can help your motor last longer and not over heat as it will allow the coolant to stay in the rad a little longer and keep the motor heathly. A freind of mine worked a service station in Murdo SD and went on calls alot in the summer for overheats and 9x out of ten the owner had pulled the thermo thinking it would cool better. This only made it overheat as the coolant was not slowing enough thru the rad to cool it.

96 TC driver

I have the digital dash that gives up to the second fuel economy and if that is to be trusted,(I have no reason to disbelieve it), I get 22-23 highway at all times. No idea of what I do in town but mostly drive highway speeds anyway. Very little in town driving.
I'm sure the thermostat change will help, also new air filter is always helpful.
Good luck.

I have a 1990 Lincoln Town Car.

My AVG MPG on the dash shows 17.8. I did the math once when I was on a business trip to Florida(I live in NJ), and I got 21.7 avg. I was crusin at about 80 to 85+ all the way.

1997 Lincoln Town Car, 4.6Ltr. V-8, 19.6 city, 25.5 hwy. Avg. about 375 mi per 20 gal tank (90% city driven). Reg maint. 35mph avg city, 80mph avg hwy. Better'n my '94 Conti had. '82 LTC got 9 city and 13 hwy w/ 5.0 V-8.

I'm now seeing a little over 17 mpg. Just running the car and letting it clear itself of all the junk built up from sitting seems to have helped a ton. It has more power, runs smoother and is better on fuel then when I got it. The seafoam treatment also helped smooth things out. Sometimes I even have to turn the radio down at stop lights just to make sure the engine is still running. All told, for a $100 car, it runs awful fine. Best $100 I ever spent. :L

I get 26-28 mpg (19 town) on road with a couple easy mods. I put Boesh platinum plugs in (2 prong) and use Mobil 1 exclusive. Set tires at 35-36 michelins (brand of tires makes HUGE difference) Also i bought the Tornado fuel saver with the intention of trying it and sending it back if it did not work. I put it in behind Mas airflow sensor. it helped! mileage has gone up!! So has pick up. I keep close pick tabs of how much mileage i get. I dont run regular gas anymore either. 91 octane

One easy way to monitor your self is if you have the digital instant read out on dash ....USE it! you would be amazed how "driving style" makes a difference. My wife has a lead foot and I can always beat her mileage by watching that instant readout.

I have tried injector cleaners without seeing much success.

Members online

No members online now.
Back