Frying eggs on my Panel Dim Switch...

HOT ROD LCN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, Ive recently put my LSC on the road and am noticing things about the car as i go. Some funny rattling sounds in drivers door, wheel all the way left makes noise, some times wheel all the way right (at idle, k turn) makes car stall out.

What kinda concerns me at the moment more than those things, is the panel dim switch. Drove the car around town for less than an hour, and plastic switch was hot to the touch. no smell of burning, it just struck me as strange-anyone experience this? is this a wacky mk7 trait?
I realize im a sneaky a$$, slippin in 4 questions disguised as one-but im sure you guys enjoy helping out -

This is my First lincoln, and it was love at first site. Im determined to fix her. Like a mistreated puppy with big floppy ears you may find at a shelter, I am saving something that was almost destroyed, junked. crazy me-I love lincolns, and this one wont be my last!!-
Tony Scardaci
89 LSC wht/blue
112k eliminator scoop-
magnaflows
otherwise-stock

HOT ROD LCN said:
Drove the car around town for less than an hour, and plastic switch was hot to the touch. no smell of burning, it just struck me as strange-anyone experience this? is this a wacky mk7 trait?
Hi Tony.
Nope.
It's not a Lincoln Mark VII trait.
What modifications have been made to the car since it left the factory?

It's a known fact that there's too much draw going through the stock headlight switch - especially with fog lights in use.

To fix this problem, you'll want to install some relays in the headlight system. Check LincolnsOnline.com - there might be a tech article on it there. If not, search there for "headlight relays" and you're sure to find the info you need.

Thanks fellas! JD-not really sure what was done just yet electrically, other than the aftermarket cd/radio. I replaced the battery today with the proper size, the other one was too small, ill check again tonite! Hey NY- how far from the outerbridge are ya? If youre up for it, I am willing to pay for experienced help. cash dough-lemme know-Tony

HOT ROD LCN said:
Thanks fellas! JD-not really sure what was done just yet electrically, other than the aftermarket cd/radio. I replaced the battery today with the proper size, the other one was too small, ill check again tonite! Hey NY- how far from the outerbridge are ya? If youre up for it, I am willing to pay for experienced help. cash dough-lemme know-Tony
Unless that system was installed with a wire harness adapter (requiring zero splices) then I'd disconnect it and then trouble shoot the light switch.

HOT ROD LCN said:

I'm near the Verrazano on the other side of the Island. Never wired up relays for the headlights (can't be that hard..I've wired up other stuff), but if you get the info and stuff together I'll give ya a hand if ya want.

OldSchool1 said:
Unless that system was installed with a wire harness adapter (requiring zero splices) then I'd disconnect it and then trouble shoot the light switch.

Ah, yes of course John! That makes too much sense to ignore-ill pull the radio today, and go from there-Thanks!!!

After new battery, and no panel heat, havent replicated symptom to the same degree. radio does have the wiring harness-will keep an eye on it

Members online

Back