Front wheel, loud clunking and scraping noise

Dakota

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Need some help here guys. Started today as a quiet clicking coming from what seemed to be the front drivers side wheel while driving, thought maybe a rock was in my tire. About 10 miles later it got louder until finally I had to pull over. I checked under the car and couldn't see anything hitting the wheel. About 5 miles later it got so bad I had to creep home with my hazards on. Luckily I was only about a 1/4 mile from home. It was a loud clunking/grinding about every 10 feet or so, I could feel it vibrate into my feet through the floorboard it was so bad. Again I cant see anything that would be hitting the wheel so I'm thinking maybe its a wheel bearing? I didn't think they could sound that bad though. Any help is appreciated.

What have you done to check for the problem?

Take the wheel off. Look for marks indicating that the brake caliper is hitting the inside of the wheel.
Take the rotor off. Spin the hub by hand. Is it smooth and quiet?

What have you done to check for the problem?

Take the wheel off. Look for marks indicating that the brake caliper is hitting the inside of the wheel.
Take the rotor off. Spin the hub by hand. Is it smooth and quiet?

It was dark when I got back, but I'm going out now to take the wheel off and have a look

So after removing the caliper and rotor, I spun the hub and it sounded like garbage. Picked up a new hub for $85 at oriellys and now I'm good to go. Funny thing is that my sensor on that side has been bad for a few weeks (may have been what caused the hub to fail but not sure). The sensor alone was $70 but the brand new hub assembly was $85 and it comes with a sensor, so 15 extra bucks and you have an entire new assembly. Ill probably make a new thread and include some pics on the repair, but its pretty easy. Just 4 bolts and the hub assembly should come off with a little PB blast and a flathead.

Members online

No members online now.
Back