Front License Plate Hole Covers?

Reverend

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Front License Plate Hole Covers? (like little button bolts)

I saw a link a few days ago, but it was buried somewhere... It was for some porsche site.

Anyone remember?

You can make your own with a set of nylon plugs and touch up paint.

I've done it myself with all the vehicles I've owned.
Get the plugs from any home center. (Lowe's or HD) Paint from PaintScratch.com.

BumperPlugs.jpg

From Paintscratch.com what did you use? Pen, bottle, spray can? Also, was it just basecoat or basecoat and clearcoat. Did you use the primer as well? Clarification would be appreciated.

I used their paint in the 12 oz. spray can, along with a spray can of their clear coat.

2 coats of base color then 2 coats of clear.
This is the same paint and process I've used on my brake calipers.

But I'm sure using a brush on touch up paint would work as well. Just remember to use a final clear coat at the end.

Front License Plate Hole Covers? (like little button bolts)

I saw a link a few days ago, but it was buried somewhere... It was for some porsche site.

Anyone remember?

Garbone mentioned bumperplugs.com. That is the correct site, but unless you're willing to drill out the existing holes, the plugs they sell are going to be too large. I bought a set and could not use them. Besides, they are nothing but 10 cent nylon fasteners that are painted. Total rip off.

Instead, I made my own. I got a couple of smaller nylon fasteners from the hardware store that fit my particular holes, and painted them myself with some touchup paint and clearcoat. See pix below.

plugz1.jpg

plugz4.jpg

I've got to get some....I hate having a license plate on my front bumper, looks like crap even though in Texas its required by law....whatever, I have to do it, that looks great!

ToddG, et al,
Actually, I did the same as you, because I didnt know about the web site.
I laid on about 4 coats af color, and about the same in clear...They turned out great, and cost me about 2 hrs, and about $2.50 at my local Schuck's auto parts!
You can barely see 'em above where I relocated the license plate(mandatory in Wa., as well), BTW, I dont have that stupid billet style plate frame...

LS27.jpg

Well, I don't have any touchup paint... where would I get some.

Silver Frost, BTW.

ToddG, et al,
Actually, I did the same as you, because I didnt know about the web site.
I laid on about 4 coats af color, and about the same in clear...They turned out great, and cost me about 2 hrs, and about $2.50 at my local Schuck's auto parts!
You can barely see 'em above where I relocated the license plate(mandatory in Wa., as well), BTW, I dont have that stupid billet style plate frame...

What are you using to mount your plate/frame to the bumper?

I got a universal plastic mounting frame, some black-although they dont show-zip ties, and zip tied it to the lower grill area, then simply bolted the new black chrome frame onto it. I absolutely hated the stock frame, and would have "gone commando", except I got pulled over in my truck, and was nicely told that it was a $495 fine if he was going to write the ticket. Fortunately he didnt, and so ...once bit...

Well, I don't have any touchup paint... where would I get some.

Silver Frost, BTW.

If your just gunna do this I don't see any reason to go and order it, just use some cheap stuff from the auto store. You should be able to match it up pretty easy since its off the car and just a small item.

How do take off the license plate holder without messing up the bumper? It seems like they are riveted onto the bumper. Can anyone let me know.

Members online

No members online now.
Back