front left speaker no sound on 02 LS

LikeNew02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My 02 LS has no sound out of the front left speaker.

I checked the speaker and it is fine. Even swapped in a different speaker and it did not work either.

When I connected the speaker to the wires, I could hear a little crackle, but no music.

Additionlly, something else is strange. When I disconect the left front speaker, the right front speaker volume goes way down?

Any ideas?

thanks

Try switching polarity?

(change + to -)
Did you try hooking the speaker up to another stereo, like something in your house, see if it works.

If it works, id say your amps finally shot. (Judging you have the Alpine system)

Yeah maybe the polarity, the volumes goes way down on it if its connected the wrong way, makes you think its not working.

The sold this car to my in-laws, so my despcription on the problem may not be exactly correct. However, I did work on it this weekend for 4 hours and the speaker is definatly not working now.

I don't think it is the polority because the left front speaker was working correctly for a couple years.

On a side note, the battery is weak and needs to be replaced. Don't think this a the problem because the other 3 speakers are loud. However, the left front speaker (problem speaker) has been buzzing when the battery goes low. Additionally, a couple weeks ago the problem speaker would go on/off with bumps.

Maybe the problem with go away with a new battery, but I dought it.

I think this may be related to the recent rain, and cross over in the door getting too miost/corrodes terminals.

If it goes on and off with bumps and movedment its prob something with the connection like you said. Is the speaker uncovered and are able to see if the connections are making good contact?

Two things. First, while the radio is on, press an hold the 3 and 6 station selection buttons on the radio. This will put the radio in a test mode where all the speakers will go on for a few seconds so you can see if it works. RF first, LF second . . . .

Second, if a speaker does not work, try turning up the volume very high for a few seconds. If you have a corroded connection or a connection that is not very good the higher power through the line will overcome the corrosion etc and the speaker will come on . . temporarily. If this works you know you have to clean your connections from the radio to the speaker.

Good luck.

pull the radio out and check to see if there is sound coming out of the radio right at the harness, if not then the problem is with the radio, if there is sound coming out of the back of the radio, then the problem is with the wiring that goes from the radio to the speaker (since you already checked to make sure the speaker is good) to fix this just run a new speaker wire from the back of the radio into the door to the speaker

if you say

if you say the speaker works, then it is most likely the wires. The drivers door is the most used in the car, so the wires get a workout. The left channel may be blown in the radio, a radio shop can fix it. Not cheap.
you should have less than 5 ohm resistance between the speaker connector and audio unit which says the wire is ok.
You should get 10,000 ohms resistance between the speaker connector and ground. if all ok then try a known good speaker. if known speaker not working the radio needs repair.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back