Front end noise

pragmatic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a clunk (not real bad) from he right front side when going over large bumps (most noticeable going over railroad tracks). I've jacked up the front end and can not find any play. I did have some in the inner and outer tie rod and I changed both of these. This helped but I still have the clunk, though no play now.

Now I know everyone is going to yell sway bar bushings. I changed these at 50,000 with new ones from Ford (when they were still available for gen 1 cars). I changed them again with energy suspension polyurethane ones at 135,000 miles. This noise is not like the noise I got from bad front sway bar bushings.

Both ball joints (upper and lower) have no play, sway bar end links are good, I get no noise on brake applications. Besides the clunking from large potholes I can get a slight clunking with rapid steering wheel movements (90 degrees quickly side to side) at speeds of 15 – 25. Below 15 no noise above 25 I can not crank the wheel quick enough to make the noise.

My thoughts are either upper or lower control arm bushings. Any hints on checking these without dissassembly?

I changed the upper control arm and knuckle (ball joint), on the left side (repairing accident damage) and do not want to do it again unless I'm sure it will solve the problem.

Any other ideas on the noise source?

Car – 2000 V6 Manual transmission (Sports Suspension) with 158,000 miles

I'm thinking....

you need new strut shocks. they will clunk when worn out. anything that might be loose up in the front? plastic covers? check all nuts and bolts, maybe steering rack has come loose.

Have not checked the struts. Any suggested methods short of dissassmebly? I did check the steering rack and it is tight.

Struts for sure, I had this happen on my last car. They aren't too pricey to fix

SHOCKS, people, SHOCKS!!!!!! The LS has coil-over SHOCKS NOT struts!!!!! No matter what parts people may say!

Members online

No members online now.
Back