Front end creak

chris

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've searched and found very little about Marks with LOUD squeeky, creaky front ends. Mine appears to be temperature related. When its cold out it seems more prevalent. Its terrible in drive throughs and parking lots. Ive been underneath and had someone move the steering wheel but it seems it has to be moving for it to do it. Anyone have any ideas of something to look for?? I'm stumped. Thanks

MarkVIII93 said:
Most likely has something to do with the power steering.

I checked out the power steering the other day. Full of fluid no leaks and appears to be working. I was listening again tonite and it seems, as best I can tell that the noise is primarily from the right front. Problem is it only does it when moving. :(

The bushing between the lower control arm and strut rod are popular for going. Lower ball joints make alot of noise when they're shot. Mine got really loud on a hot day.

I'll check out all of the above Thanks for the help.

BALL JOINTS!!! BALL JOINTS!!!
I own a shop and we replace a lot of ball joints on this type of front end.

chris said:
I checked out the power steering the other day. Full of fluid no leaks and appears to be working. I was listening again tonite and it seems, as best I can tell that the noise is primarily from the right front. Problem is it only does it when moving. :(

what color was it? no ever changes it

buddylee said:
what color was it? no ever changes it

Ya know I didnt even check.... just something else on the to do list.

I have the same problem, I've had ball joints, struts, shocks, mounts, bushings, everything checked out. One idiot said it was normal sound in a 96 Mark VIII and not to worry. Well, I am worried and the car is sitting in the garage. Noise only on secondary streets and roads - does great on highway. Sounds like the entire frame is rubbing against something on secondary roads, especially when you just leave the garage and start out. maybe if you find help, it will help me too.

I lubed all the bushings with some lithium and its still quiet.

Ive been experiencing the same problem, on my drivers side... also seems to be temp. related. i replaced the ball joints about 6-8 months ago, so i dont thinks thats the problem... looked under my car and it seems the noise comes from where the strut tower and lower control arm connect. this weekend is when im going to take my damn car apart and figure out what that noise is, becuz its driving me up the wall to be driving a clean looking car that sounds like a bucket! ill let you know what i find...

I had lubed my bushings as I posted above, but with all the snow and $hit on the roads its creaking again. I'll keep lubing till spring its too cold and muddy to be doing any front end work here at the moment. I'm interested to see your findings.

I have a creaking noise too. I cant figure it out. It sounds like its coming from behind my driver side dash possibly the strut tower. I happens when I go over bumps. I will be looking into it, just havent gotten to it yet.

right front on mine started last night. i found i could make the squeaking go away by adjusting the volume on my stereo

ImportEater said:
right front on mine started last night. i found i could make the squeaking go away by adjusting the volume on my stereo

LMAO!!

ball joint was the culprit.... the guy i paid to change them, only changed one side! changed it myself...now nice and quiet!!! finally!!! went tech articles and it was all there, and it was pretty self explanatory... dont forget to rent balljoint press!!! good luck guys....

BIGEE66 said:
BALL JOINTS!!! BALL JOINTS!!!
I own a shop and we replace a lot of ball joints on this type of front end.

I agree Myh 95 went through 3 sets of upper ball joints - over 180K miles. Each set went about 60K

Mine just went last week on my 98. It makes all kinds of noise when really cold, not bad when it gets warmer. I am replacing the UCA this weekend, if the nose goes away I will advise

Frat-man-du said:
I agree Myh 95 went through 3 sets of upper ball joints - over 180K miles. Each set went about 60K

Mine just went last week on my 98. It makes all kinds of noise when really cold, not bad when it gets warmer. I am replacing the UCA this weekend, if the nose goes away I will advise

I'm planning on replacing both the UCAs and LCAs on my 98 as soon as possible. Since you live well within driving distance for me, would you be willing to help me with this? For a price, of course.

Members online

No members online now.
Back