front end click?

Lincoln Mark VIII

1. 91 LSC SE

91 LSC SE Well-Known LVC Member

Hi everyone,

I thought it was the outer tie rod and replaced inner and outer tie rods ends, yet the noise is still there.

It only happens when I am backing out of the driveway and turn my wheels to the far right. If i turn the wheel to the right slightly - no noise. Video below.

I replaced upper and lower control arm just two years ago and used AC Delco Professional. I replaced the bushing on the strut rod (one near the wheel, the front bushings looked good and I couldn't find the Ford made bushings and left the stock ones at front of M8. Only thing I didn't change was the anti-roll sway bay links. These have no play and when i push on the front end repeatedly, there is no noise.

2. 91 LSC SE

no one has had this noise before? I can feel it ever so slightly on the steering wheel. Could the rack be loose?

3. unity

unity Dedicated LVC Member

Its hard to gauge a sound from a video. You need to inspect the front end, thats all there is to it. Guessing a ball joint or upper arm bolt is not tight. As for AC Delco, its not a good brand by any stretch. I installed two new from sway bar links on my Rover. One failed from day one (lots of play in a ball joint). The other failed within a month and the boots, while intact, looked like a part that was 10 years old!

The Mark is pretty easy to inspect yourself since you can simply depressurize the from bags. Lets you play around with it a little more than a sprung front end.

4. Paull

Paull New LVC Member

sounds like an lca ball joint to me . .

5. 91 LSC SE

Thanks guys, there is only 13k miles on the upper and lower and from what I read here, many were happy with the AC Delco Professional brand.
    If it was an upper or lower, you would think the mechanic would have noticed it and informed me before the wheel alignment. I didn't check the new parts, just the tie rods and one did have play, hence me changing inner and outers. I have to change the oil, so will check these and get back to you all to confirm. Thanks again for the insight.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  6. 91 LSC SE

I changed the oil and checked for tire movement from side to side (9 & 3 pm) and there was no movement. Then checked top to bottom (12 & 6) and no movement on one side and very little to none on the other. I had someone look for ball joint movement and they saw none. So I think it may be a tiny bit of play is in the hub. Around 1/32 or maybe 1/16 - very little top to bottom movement.
    Still this can't be the noise. Everything else is tight. could it be the SR bushing at the front? These and the sway bar links are the only thing I didn't change.

7. 91 LSC SE

So with no loose ball joints, and new inner/outer tie rods, would do you think it could be?