Front end alignment

1lincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hope someone can answer this. I was under my car and there are two flat aluminum bars, each about 3-feet long. They have something to do with the front end alignment or stabilization. Anyway at the front end of the each one there is a vertical bolt that looked loose. So I commenced to tightening these bolts, but now I'm thinking they were probably for the front end alignment and not just two loose bolts. Do I need to go to the front end shop?

Well, the front end on my 2000 is only adjustable with shims, so if yours is the same I don't think that you mis-aligned it, however I am always of the better safe than sorry school. Most decent shops will only charge you $20-$30 for an alignement check. Just go get it done for the piece of mind if nothing else.

Hope someone can answer this. I was under my car and there are two flat aluminum bars, each about 3-feet long. They have something to do with the front end alignment or stabilization. Anyway at the front end of the each one there is a vertical bolt that looked loose. So I commenced to tightening these bolts, but now I'm thinking they were probably for the front end alignment and not just two loose bolts. Do I need to go to the front end shop?

No.... no.... and no.

Those two bolts are not loose and are not meant to be tightened. They are "Shear" bolts and are meant to break away in the event of a serious front end collision. Those bolts keep the front sub member from pushing into the passenger compartment during a hard impact by snapping off, causing the front section of the car to drop down and under the rest of the car. It's a safety feature of the LS.

Go back and "loosen" them up to where they were before you "tightened" them.

No.... no.... and no.

Those two bolts are not loose and are not meant to be tightened. They are "Shear" bolts and are meant to break away in the event of a serious front end collision. Those bolts keep the front sub member from pushing into the passenger compartment during a hard impact by snapping off, causing the front section of the car to drop down and under the rest of the car. It's a safety feature of the LS.

Go back and "loosen" them up to where they were before you "tightened" them.

What he said.

We thought the same thing when aligning my car but noticed what type of bolts they were.

Talking about the alignment...is there a Camber Kit for our LSs since mine with the Springs wont align to the factory specs

Eibach makes an alignment kit for the LS which consists of cam bolts for the camber adjustment. You can check them out on their web site. Eibach.com

Talking about the alignment...is there a Camber Kit for our LSs since mine with the Springs wont align to the factory specs

I got mine from RockAuto.com. I posted the info on here after I had the car aligned a few months ago.

Members online

Back