Front crank seal

deadmark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
How often has anyone actually had to replace the front timing cover crank seal, as i believe mine is leaking and causing my belt to squeal. seeing this is the second one in < effectively a month as i think it was that long before it started squealing again.

any suggestions on anything else i should look into doing while the timing cover is off? the engine only has about 28k on it and was rebuilt at 16k cuz someone thought their mark 8 was a submarine...lol. not me.

yes im doing it with the motor still in the car dont got the time to pull the engine and do it that way.

Thanks

Steven V.

Use a good seal.... OEM only for the rotating ones here....

As far as the belt squealing, and take this advice knowing that I am NOT responsible for your loss of fingers...

Start the engine and using red Scotchbrite sand each pulley lightly, it fixed a squeak on my Vic.

sounds crazy but put some grease on your finger and while the car is not running, paste it on the belt. Start it up and your squeek will be gone..

As far as leaking, can you see it leak or are you assuming it is leaking?

i am assuming its leaking from the seal to the crank pulley then to the belt. one more thing both the self-tensioner and the idler pulley are "new". ill take the advise thank you. by the way i was going to get the seal from the lincoln dealer as the ford dealer in town is full of idiots and are currently trying to sell a Thunderbird SC that cant be floored and idles at 2000...anyway enough ranting

Thank you

The crank seal is available anywhere. We get them from NAPA. Don't goto a Stealership.

You do not have to remove the timing cover? You remove the balancer, then pry out the seal & replace?

well that will shave a lot of time off this job...my local napa store sells them for 6.99 plus tax and SHIPPING, the dealership i can get it for 8.00-9.00 i for get which, but either way its cheaper to buy it at the dealership cuz shipping that one seal ends up being much more than $9.00...plus the dealership has it in stock.

btw the seal goes in dry or should i put something to lubricate itas it goes in?

Members online

No members online now.
Back