Front coil spring broke 1998 Continental

nel606

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I sat in my car the other day and heard what I thought sounded like a coil spring twang. When I went to pull out of my garage my left front tire went flat immediately.

After taking the tire off I found a broken coil spring sticking out of the sidewall of the tire. My question is, can I simply replace the coil spring surrounding the strut, or do I have to replace the entire assembly. I've look through Rock Auto and have been able to find the coil spring with with or without the strut.

I have attached a couple photos to help explain what things look like. Any advice would be most helpful

Thank you

IMG_0745.JPGIMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.jpg

You probably won't find just the spring available new but you might be better off buying the whole assembly used from a lower-mileage car from a non-salted area of the country. Buying just the spring means you'd need to rent a spring compressor to put it onto the strut.

Spring compressors are cheap $19.99 everyday or less, and I use my impact wrench to make a fast job of it. You have ride control then you will need electronic struts from Ford. Rockauto.com has this listed MOTORCRAFT Part # ASH1248 {#AA478, YF3Z18125BA}

I have the same problem. Does anybody know if the springs are the same between the standard and the electronic struts? There are plenty of standard struts floating around on eBay.

Same problem, front driver side Left, strut coil broke.
Is the coil the same?, whether it is standard suspension ($533 at Team Ford, AZ or local NJ Dealership ) or automatic ride leveling ($690)? I'm not sure how to tell them apart
The coil snapped yesterday.
Online salvage yards want $35 to $100 depending ...

Spring compressors are cheap $19.99 everyday or less, and I use my impact wrench to make a fast job of it. You have ride control then you will need electronic struts from Ford. Rockauto.com has this listed MOTORCRAFT Part # ASH1248 {#AA478, YF3Z18125BA}

I believe that ASH1248 is the rear shock.

Members online

No members online now.
Back