Front Bracing Completed

Roadboss

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally got front bracing completed. We displaced a nice little ride to get it finished. I am very pleased with the enhanced stiffness this setup provides over stock. I would have never guessed how much flex was there. Now I have to address the control arm bushings as they are making noise. They are the Moog Blue Poly and I installed them with no silicone grease (Bad me). I never had problems with them in the past, go figure. I have to make up my mind to replace with FOMOCO rubber or reinstall with Di- electric grease.

I am ordering the rctangular tubing next week so we can have for the end of the month to start the rear sub frame connectors. I already have installed the differential cover brace and stiffener with the Poly bushings, so this should be it. for under the car.

Enjoy that funny looking little red car.

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Cool ive been contempating doing this for the last few weeks, I think you may have steered me in the right direction :)

Wish someone would make subframe connectors for these cars.

There is over on TOCCA, they are for the TBird though, but I am told they work. I decided to do my own rears.

Nice bracing. What year E-type is that? My father recently sold his 70' same color.

The bracing looks good. I'd love to get a set of sub-frames for mine too, I wince everytime I jack the car up for anything, lol... ;)

I have to make up my mind to replace with FOMOCO rubber or reinstall with Di- electric grease.

Why di-electric grease and not just silicone?

I installed the basic lower engine control brace from SCP, and it was a rather dramatic change. Was there much more of a change with the added part you made?

I already have installed the differential cover brace and stiffener with the Poly bushings, so this should be it.

How are those workin out for ya? I have thought about doin those and wonder what the results are on the mod.

I had to jack the car up the other day to change a rear flat tire and I was shocked to see both sides of the rear lifted off the ground eventhough I had only jacked one side under the lower control arm at the air bag reciever. The brackets were from SCP, and the di-electric is silicone.

I really need to redue my strut rod bushing ferrells as they are a tad too long and causing a lot of noise. I tried some silicone spray, and it worked briefly. This was my bad for not checking the new ferrells against the old ones for length. I am going to do this when we weld up and install the rear subframe connectors. This should be in a week or so as I ordered the tubing last friday.

The additional stiffness that the car now has is truly amazing, and I am sure the next pieces will only complement what's on already. I have a stretch of road that undulates and the car now tackles it like a road racer, not like a wet noodle.

The Addco bars on my car will make it do the same when jacking it up. It's a pain when putting stands under the car at times as you need to be sure it stays on the others. If I lift from the k-member I can lift three wheels of the ground depending which side I have the jack on.

What brace are you using for the diff cover (BilletFlow?)
I was looking at the BF peice and almost got one, but thought I'd try out a Control Freak cover/girdle as is wasn't alot higher priced and you get more (the whole cover.) Plus it has a drain which is cool :)

I've used marine h/d grease in the bushings I've done as it won't wash out as easy as the others I've tried. It's a lot like the stuff you get from ES and I've got a small gun loaded with it now just for bushings...

cfcover.jpg

No, I went with the cover brace from SCP as I felt that that was more than enough for what I needed and I also didn't need to pull the cover as well.

Very cool... I'm book marking it for when I get my mark! :-D

was 63 the only year to use the split rear window?

Yes it was. They couldn't sell the cars, everyone complained about the rear visibility, so for 64 the cut it out and made the window one piece. Its funny how the fact that nobody wanted something is responsible for making everyone want it.

Yes it was. They couldn't sell the cars, everyone complained about the rear visibility, so for 64 the cut it out and made the window one piece. Its funny how the fact that nobody wanted something is responsible for making everyone want it.

actually it was a disagreement between the two main designers of the vett don't remember the names but one liked it the other hated it
read the info in a few vette books and on American muscle car

actually it was a disagreement between the two main designers of the vett don't remember the names but one liked it the other hated it
read the info in a few vette books and on American muscle car

That's the first time I've heard other than exactly what blenderhead said. Even the freak enthusiasts at barrett jackson claim the same as blenderhead.

True. it was Zora Duntov and Harley Earl who had the dispute and Harley Earl won the battle as most of the GM brass thought of Duntov as a maverick and Earl had an impecable reputation.

I wish someone made an aftermarket k-member for the mkviii. Do you think we could get Maximum Motorsport to make a batch, if we get enough people on board?

It was tried before with little success as there is no market for them, also the previous were a pain as they tended to move around, and with our heavy cars the movement was excessive.

frogman had one made wayyyyy back in the day and there was some sort of fitment issue, i think it wouldnt line up with the body

AJE makes the tubular K-member for the tbirds. The mark would be the same, correct? I've heard mixed reviews of the AJE piece, but I think broken lower control arms was one of the most common complaints. Plus just the K-member really won't do much for you, since you aren't saving that much weight. The biggest advantage of them is space to work underneath the car.

AJE might be the one frogman tried, i remember 3 letters beginning with A.
i believe most the extra length of a markviii is in the eng bay, comparing my dohc in my mark and the dohc in the thundermark the radiaror is definatally closer

AJE was who it was and there was little technical support for the guys who bought them as they were a super chicken creation.

I can't believe I missed this thread.

I'm gonna have to build me a set of these. I'm thinking they will compliment the front and rear addco sway bars, and shock tower braces I'm wanting to put on the 94.....

Mike

Members online

No members online now.
Back