Front Ball Joint Reference Thread

oddball

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping others will chime in with their experience on this particularly annoying problem. Of course, we're just talking about the front lower ball joints.

14mm was used from 2000 to early 2002. Late 2002 on used 16mm. So if you have a 2002, measure before buying. I was wrong previously - the suspension package doesn't impact ball joint size. (note that this is my current understanding and is subject to change) You can swap to 16mm by replacing the ball joints and the lower control arms, but I don't know if the 16mm units are actually any stronger.

Here are a couple of comparison pictures. On the left is the complete Mevotech knuckle, in the middle is the "OEM Jaguar" ball joint from eBay and on the right is a MOOG.

20130119_104934.jpg

20130119_104943.jpg

The Mevotech and "OEM" use spring retainers for the boot on the stud end while the MOOG has a molded fit. The "OEM" boot fit very poorly and would slip down, likely permitting debris to enter the ball.

The MOOG joints failed on both sides after 26 months and 20,000 miles - sport suspension, stock wheels. Symptoms were squeaks when turning and suspension travel. When unloaded, the joints felt and moved just fine. One side had a "crunchy" feel to it so was obvious. The other side had me fooled.

I just installed the Mevotech on one side and a MOOG on the other - update in another two years?

Out of the box, the MOOGs move freely and smoothly. The Mevotech was slightly locked up, but freed with a little persuasion then moved easily. The "OEM" - notice the parts store hardware! - was completely locked up and took significant effort to free. It is still very stiff. There are no markings at all on that joint, so no idea who actually made it.

The "OEM" is, as one would expect, too good of a deal to be true - $50 shipped for both sides.

Ball joint replacement: What's your favorite method? The shops around here refused to touch the loose knuckle this time around. I heated it with the acetylene and easily hammered out the old joint. The rental ball joint press was then used to install the new one but I couldn't get a good lineup so went slow. Had the open end of the press against the back of the ball joint, with the large adapter and shoulder on the stud side. Had to stop frequently to make sure the stud was lining up with the hole in the shoulder, and the press pushed on the cap of the ball joint instead of the shoulder. Not great.

Heating aluminum is a TERRIBLE idea! It won't "spring back" like steel will.

Bought and installed Moog inner and outer tie rod plus ball joints. Inner tie rods started squeaking going over a bump. Removed and found one also had a rough feel when ball/socket was moved/rotated. Called up Moog and spoke to a customer rep and he couldn't have cared less. Never heard of this type of failure, return it to where you bought it. Thought I was buying a quality part but I guess not. Never buy from Moog again. Hope my ball joints last longer than yours. Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.
Back