Fricking Transmission is shot now

zolemite

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't even beat on her. If anybody knows where I can get a Trans fairly cheap please let me know. I don't want to spend 2500

I'm getting the trans rebuilt and the guy says that he can beef up the trans with a kit for a couple hundred more and make it bullet proof. Is there a such kit for this car. I told him as long as it's under 2k go ahead. I'll find out more tomorrow

I'm getting the trans rebuilt and the guy says that he can beef up the trans with a kit for a couple hundred more and make it bullet proof. Is there a such kit for this car. I told him as long as it's under 2k go ahead. I'll find out more tomorrow

It can be made better, but there's no way to make this transmission "bulletproof." Don't be surprised if your shifts are significantly firmer and more noticable.

That trans col or floor shift cost is the same for a ford reman. Retail is $2013.00.
if you were local (no freight) it would be $1736.43 plus the 600.00 core till you brought the core back. So 2500.00 sounds about right...retail with core, plus tax. The ford reman is warrenteed for 3 years or 75000 miles parts and labor, I know I would hate to pay that but if you gotta.....

Max

Well I got my car back today after a $2483 bill. I didn't drive it far but it seems like it is waiting a little longer to shift and when it does it grabs fast without letting the R's drop too much. Overall I'm pleased so far. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I love this car so its all worth it. I've replaced everything these cars are known for going bad so, I hope I'm good for a while. Only thing left to replace is the air shocks and I'm hoping I don't have to do that for a while. I paid 5k for this car and over the last year put about 4500. Kinda sucks but again I love this car:)

Things happen. Just remember that if you keep up with things on the car it'll last you a long while :)

They said it could have. When I got my car back it sounded like the serpentine belt squeeking and there was paint on my trunk lid. So they said they would pick it up and fix it. First they called and said it was the idler pulley and $100 so I said OK. Then They said they put on the idler pulley and it still squeeked. So they said the looked at the water pump and that was going bad as well. I told them that I allready spent too much and they said they would do it at no labor cost. His brother then called me back and said that the tensioner also needed to be replaced. So I said how much. $359 :q:q:q:q!!!! I told him just b/c I have rims doesn't mean I'm loaded. He was delivering the car to me cuz he is on the south side of Chi and that is his service and he just called to say it just up and died on him while he was driving to my house. :q:q:q:q again!!!! He said his mechanic forgot to clear the codes maybe. Is this possible?? Would this happen??? I told him I'm not spending another dime on this car and he said he'll fix it. Sorry for the language, but I'm sure we are all adults here:mad:

Now they're saying its the fuel pump. I told them just to drop off the car at my house and the manager has yet to get back to me. This is crap. I'm even more mad now.

my car is exactly like yours, the only thing i wish it had was a sunroof, wonder if i can get one installed or if its worth it.

that's some B.S.

Do you get your parts through Max at Five Star?? could save you considerably

Still don't have my car back they keep saying they keep getting sent the wrong fuel pump. I should have it tomorrow.

Hrmmm

I may not know much about Lincolns... But I think you need a new mechanic.

Hrmmm

I may not know much about Lincolns... But I think you need a new mechanic.

Yes, I'm not going back to there scam artists. I do have my car back though and it runs like a charm. Should be ok for another couple years I hope

When your transmission was making a whining noise did it do this at start up ?..Mine is making a whining noise at start up but after it warms up it doesn't make the noise anymore !

Thats your Torque Converter going out. If it only does this at startup, it will soon begin to do it much longer after prolong use.. Then it will begin making the noises while driving. It will later effect performance like slowing down your car and the torque converter can begin shuddering (VIBRATING) while driving.. The trans can begin slipping, shifting hard, or not work at all.

This can happen when burning out tires, high accelerations, & slipping your tires at high speed or RPM on dry pavement or snow.

Since yours seems to be in it's early stage, you ought to get that checked before any further damage.

Torque converters for those trans cost about $100-$175. The Expensive part is the work. Those Intech engines are big heavy monsters and there's little space to work.

It could be a more or less $600-$1200 job if all you need is a Torque Converter.

How positive are you about it being the Torque Converter, could it be something else that can be causing the noise ?

I mean.....you just hurt my feelings :( I'm going to get it check Thursday!

Well, before doing a cold start. Pop the hood open, ( With some help) bend over some over the engine & listen on the side where the trans is. Have someone start the car. If you hear the Grinding/whining sound & it goes away after it warms, then it's the torque converter.

Another way to test is on a cold start while it makes the whine & shifting into other gears like reverse, neutral, drive, & back in park. The noise can briefly disappear & come back. Or when the whining stops & you shift into gear, it can also make a brief whine & go even after warm up.

But if the noises are coming from the side where the belt is, then it's something else unrelated. Maybe a squeaky belt or pulley bearing.

Especially on very cold days where temperatures reach under the 40's, it is common for some FWD cars to make a 1/4 second whine, And thats only due because of the fluid finally circulating within the torque converter.

Don't mean to scare you but be sure for yourself before making any arrangements.

Members online

Back