Free Air Sub

ltnate3

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to put a single sub or a couple of 6x9 mid base in the rear package of my 2002 LS. Can someone recommend a sub and possibly some installation tips?

Sub and Amp

I think most audio guys on this site will agree with me that JL makes the best subs and amps. I have 3 10" JL subs in the trunk along with a JL 500/1 amp and the system sounds great.

Car 010 (Small).jpg

Car 011 (Small).jpg

Car 014 (Small).jpg

Car 005 (Small).jpg

While I will agree that JL makes good subs and their amps are tanks I would recommend a few other brands before JL, especially for free air applications. For the subs I would recommend Image Dynamics or Elemental Designs. I am putting two 8" Elemental Designs subs in brothers LS. I have one 10" Image Dynamics in my girlfriends Mazda 6 in a free air application and it hits hard! I would recommend Alpine Type R subs over the JL also. I had 3 12" with a Pioneer Premier amp and it hit 145.8 DB at competition. As far as amps I would recommend Alpine, JL, PPI, MTX, DEI, and Viper-currently have one(they were part of the DEI line then were discontinued so you can get a really powerful amp for cheap if you can find one). Other than that just listen to as many subs as you can and pick what you like best!
Have fun with it.

I would agree about the alpine type r subs.. only sub JL has that i would chose otherwise would be the famous "w7".. other then that... MA audio makes great amps Mmats, MTX (dont recommend), viper as stated above, kicker, AUDIOBAHN......... if you can find one.... Rockford used to make descent amps.... stay away from pioneed/kenwood/clarion... it all really depends on what your lookin to spend.. i can pick out an amazing amp for 400 bucks.. one for 1000 or even 2500 all have different features and you truly get what you pay for when it comes to car audio.. you want the clarity, and the quality, then dont go for a 99 dollar kmart amp..... imho

Thanks for the inputs. what about the install? Will it be hard to install subs in the rear package tray?

I dont think so, I am going to mount them from the bottom of the rear deck. Either that or we are going to cut the holes bigger and slide the subs in from the top. I mounted by girlfriends up from the bottom of the deck. I wasn't too happy about how it turned out so I think I am going to redo that one also. Other than that you just have to seal the trunk up pretty good. We are going to dynamat the entire deck and seal all the holes with that.

it'll sound much better if you just throw it in a box..

Motts said:
it'll sound much better if you just throw it in a box..

I was hoping to keep most of my trunk space plus I don't know the first thing about building a box.

ltnate3 said:
I was hoping to keep most of my trunk space.

Same with me, that is why I am going with the free air subs. I want trunk space and a nice sound, I don't need a box or a huge system. I hope to have them installed in the next couple of weeks.

Hawk03 said:
Same with me, that is why I am going with the free air subs. I want trunk space and a nice sound, I don't need a box or a huge system. I hope to have them installed in the next couple of weeks.

Any luck with the Free Air install? I'm looking to do the same thing. Hey I see you live in Indy. My parents live in Kokomo.

ltnate3 said:
Any luck with the Free Air install? I'm looking to do the same thing. Hey I see you live in Indy. My parents live in Kokomo.

No I haven't installed them yet, I am in between jobs right now. I know how I am going to do it I just need the cash to get the subs. I am going to get 2 8" free air subs from Elemental Design along with an Alpine V12 amp. I am just going to tap into the plug that is in the trunk and hook some rca's to the speaker wire and plug them into the amp along with the remote wire and run new power and ground wire.
I was in Indy for about three months, I left last Tuesday to go back to my parents place in Iowa where I am currently staying, don't know if I will go back to Indy. I've heard of Kokomo but not sure where it is.

Members online

No members online now.
Back