Found my A/C Issue

BigWayner95

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So finally had the chance to tear into my a/c issue. I HAVE A FREAKING LEAK! The leak is on the passenger side lines that are mounted on the side of the engine bay. Weird. Now, Iv got to figure out which line it is.

Is this a DIY fix? Iv never ever replaced these before?

Is this typical?

Are these replaceable?

Is this one of those things that If ones bad, I should replace all three?

Is there anyone near me who can give me hand on this?

1. Depends on how good you are. Do you have a vacuum pump to evacuate it before recharging?
2. Typical no, but not unheard of.
3. Yes, of course.
4. The three lines are the heater lines. The AC lines are only two, and they are a combined set so both must be replaced. What you need is called "Thermostatic Expansion Valve Manifold and Tube Assembly" You also need to replace the receiver/dryer.
5. Don't know.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc1034.htm~gen~ref.htm

I've put all the parts on the car before and then just drove to a shop and had them do the evac and charge. Make sure you let them know what you did so they can add some oil to the system too. Of course you can do this yourself as well. either/or.

Just cover it with Flex Seal, 'bout three coats, then recharge system. should hold for a while. lol

[video=youtube;ofMwxrWDUmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMwxrWDUmQ[/video]

//// KIDDING ////

There has been talk, of me getting a evac system myself. Thoughts? If I did I could rent it out to fellow members?

You mean a vacuum pump (not a refrigerant recovery system)?
I did the math a while back, and with four cars ranging from 7 to 13 years old, I decided that a vacuum pump would pay off. So far, I've only used it twice, so I haven't quite broken even yet.
Some things to keep in mind. You'll need at least a two stage pump. If it can't pump down to over 29", it won't really do you much good. If you don't get a good mico vacuum gauge (costs almost as much as the vacuum pump), you'll have to leave the pump on for 1/2 to 1 full hour to be sure that it's pumped all the way down. After every 1/2 to 1 hour of use, you need to change the vacuum pump oil. It's about $14 a quart and it takes a quart each time. How good of a vacuum you can pull is directly related to the cleanness and the quality of the oil.

The pumps are very heavy. If you rent it out, it would be practical to do locally, but it would cost too much to ship it back and forth to make sense for distant members. Another option for you is for you to rent it yourself. Local tool rental stores often have them for rent.

You would probably need to drop $2-300 for the pump and gauge depending on where you bought them. You can get an off-brand pump from Harbor Freight for $150 that is 3-cfm 2-stage. A decent 3-hose hi/lo gauge manifold would probably be around $50. And then it goes up from there. Add to that the cost of oil for the pump on each use. You can't count the cost of freon since it's a consumable but if you are REALLY going into this for the cost savings then just buy a 30-lb can and use it over and over. So much better then trying to charge off those little 12-oz cans. Don't forget some oil charge before you pull the evac. Burning a compressor up sucks.

I would just call a local shop and ask them how much they charge to do an evac and charge if for nothing other then comparison. If you don't plan to do a lot of AC work in the near future it might be a better way to go.

If you do buy your own evac setup, make sure you flood the supply line from the can to the manifold with freon before you hook it up to the car. Otherwise you are going to dump a tube of dirty atmospheric air straight into the AC system. Basically just open up the hi or low side of the manifold for a few seconds to let the freon from the can push all the air out.

well that answers that. scratch the system. Ill just put the parts on myself. Take to my buddies shop and see what he can do for me.

Around here you can get an evac and fill for less then $100.

Ditto, know your local techs and no one needs to know what happens when the boss is on vacation...

Didn't want to start a new thread to just get a confirmation of a possible leak I am seeing today. Is this a leak of refrigerant oil from the AC drier/receiver? I doubt it is coolant. Just trying to confirm before I take it in to get repaired.

AC dryer.jpg

AC 2.jpg

Didn't want to start a new thread to just get a confirmation of a possible leak I am seeing today. Is this a leak of refrigerant oil from the AC drier/receiver? I doubt it is coolant. Just trying to confirm before I take it in to get repaired.

Green???? Looks like it.....

On that radiator hose just past it, is that white residue around that molding mark? Looks like mine right before the rad hose started leaking there.

Since I've been curious about this, and a A/C thread popped back up, what exactly is the correct procedure for adding compressor oil to the A/C system.

IIRC, the manual says to turn the compressor on its side, then turn the pulley unti the oil is out, should be appoximatly 2OZ or something like that, if not, add the proper amount. Now, all the oil i see and that I got at the parts store is PAG100 and is in a pressurized can that would be hooked up to gauges, and or filling hose to add to the system. There is no way this can be done on a brand new compressor that needs oil before running.

So my question is what and where do you get it, and is it just "dumped" into the pump ports before installing? I'm planning on replacing my compressor unit, with drier and expansion valve (can't wait for that 8 hr project) in the spring and want to know for sure so I don't ever have to do this again.

So my question is what and where do you get it, and is it just "dumped" into the pump ports before installing? I'm planning on replacing my compressor unit, with drier and expansion valve (can't wait for that 8 hr project) in the spring and want to know for sure so I don't ever have to do this again.

Yes, just pour it in. After connecting the lines and pulling a vacuum (but before charging) be sure to turn the compressor by hand a few times to spread the oil around.

Get it here
http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-AirConditioningProducts.aspx
or here
http://www.amazon.com/FJC-2484-Pag-...TF8&qid=1386795725&sr=8-1&keywords=pag+oil+46
or probably several other places.

As always Joe, you're the man. Since I'm too lazy to go into my artic basement to dig around for the service manual, is the compressor oil the same to use on all the O-rings before assembly?

Members online

No members online now.
Back